ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: To cull or not

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default To cull or not

I have recently joined so that I could ask general and breeding specific questions so here is the first one. Out of my nine fish in a 125 gallon planted aquarium, seven of them are truly thriving. They eat well, are growing well, take turns spawning (unsuccessfully but they try). One of the remaining small fish is just starting to realize that if it wants food, it really needs to get in there so I think it will make it, just be smaller than the others. The last fish is a sorry sight. The body and fins are malformed and it doesn't join the others during the usual piranha like feeding frenzy. The other fish don't even acknowledge its presence. My concern is that it's overall poor condition could leave the system open to assorted illnesses since, as I have learned over the years, disease is always present in a mature system and it is only the fishes health that prevents outbreaks and this one is not healthy. Nor does it look as if it will thrive so...should I kill/cull it?

As stated this is 125 gallon set-up, dirt bottom and planted. Fish other than discus are rose line barbs and mollies which supply lots of live food. I do not do anything other than keep them warm and weekly water changes of approx 40% of tap water. (This is why I bought Stendkers) Food comes from Discus Hans (his beef heart mixture fed 3 or 4 times a day). I have had this tank running since last year and the discus have been in there since Feb. with no losses.

Thanks for advice. Please no lectures.

Default Re: To cull or not

My concern is that it's overall poor condition could leave the system open to assorted illnesses since, as I have learned over the years, disease is always present in a mature system and it is only the fishes health that prevents outbreaks and this one is not healthy. Nor does it look as if it will thrive so...should I kill/cull it?
    its a very good concern and the answer is Yes, the weak one can cause you problems. Fish like these act as incubators for disease organisms and can shed them into the water in numbers that can eventually overwhelm healthy fish immune systems. If it were a fish that was a healthy runt, its one thing and a matter of preference on the culling, but if its weak and sickly,You should cull it or hospitalize it and try to heal it.. but culling is your safest bet.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

It is done. RIP strange little fish

RIP.jpg

I doubt I'll see another one that strange. And no, those fins were not pecked on, just a bizarre shape.

Beth, it does happen. I think you made the right decision though. Its not an easy one for a hobbyist to make but sometimes its just necessary.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Sean

Wow that is one ugly sucker. You made the right decision on that one. Al was 100% on point with his advice. I have a runt in my 75 gallon tank which was a really picky eater during the primary growth period where discus put on the majority of their potential size but it's an otherwise healthy fish. It eventually grew into a fairly round shape with perfect fins but it's definitely small. I plan on keeping him around so that if in the future I get more fish I can use him as a tester fish after the quarantine period for the newcomers. If they can coexist in the same tank for a month with no losses I'll be pretty assured that the fish are compatible bacteria wise. :-)