AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: cardnial tetra question

Registered Member

Default cardnial tetra question

I just recently set up my tank and bought a few dozen cardnials I have a question about how they school mine just stay in the same section of the tank they never go to the other side I have a big tank 125 gallons but all of them just stick to one quarter of the tank is this normal they seem to be healthy other than that there eating and look fine I checked all my levels for ammonia nitrite nitrate and all my levels look good I just got done cycling my tank I put them in Saturday just curious thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: cardnial tetra question

As they get more comfortable in the tank they will start exploring. Just give it time.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    As they get more comfortable in the tank they will start exploring. Just give it time.
    Ok thanks kinda what I was thinking

Real Name
    Willie

In my experience, cardinals do not school. They tend to go on their own, only schooling if they feel threatened by larger fish. Rummynose tetras school, but they're not nearly as shiny.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

is it common they all just stick to one side of the tank seems like they all just hang by the intake filter I have a fluval fx5 and seems like they all hang around there they act fine as far as no hard breathing or anything odd and they eat when ever I feed them

Registered Member

It could be any number of things. Slower current, lighting, ambient noises, etc. Who knows. Give them time to settle in and they'll spread out. Mine usually followed the dominant female around the tank.

Real Name
    Willie

I've seen cardinals spread out in front of the filter output, presumably eating the tiny bits of food that does not get trapped.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Ok thanks guys just added another dozen getting them from the same source and only fish in the tank currently figured id grow them up then add some discus but they still haven't ventured to the other side I'm sure they will

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Exclamation Re: cardnial tetra question

I recently set up a new 75G tank - added discus, cardinal tetras, bottom feeders and clown loaches. My cardinal tetras didn't last long - all except 1 are gone, unfortunately. They were all healthy but I think they couldn't get the amount of food they need. All my discus are young and are going after any amount of food leaving nothing to cardinal tetras. Another friend of mine had similar experience. Just wanted to share my experience - they were otherwise happy and healthy swimming around in the tank without any conflicts just the food part didn't work out as expected.