AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus breeding true to the parents DNA

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Default Discus breeding true to the parents DNA

Is there a resource available that states the various strains of discus that breed true. I've heard that Snow Whites and variations of Blue Platinums don't in fact breed true or are less likely to. Albino variations are typically only a percentage of the bred pairs. Super Spotted Albinos being another example that may represent less than 10% of any particular spawn.

Default Re: Discus breeding true to the parents DNA

Quote Originally Posted by relliott View Post
    Is there a resource available that states the various strains of discus that breed true. I've heard that Snow Whites and variations of Blue Platinums don't in fact breed true or are less likely to. Albino variations are typically only a percentage of the bred pairs. Super Spotted Albinos being another example that may represent less than 10% of any particular spawn.
    Its really hard to state " various strains of discus that breed true." Your older classic lines Can breed true, fish like cobalts, Red Turqs, Blue Diamonds, many Pigeon strains. They will breed true if they haven't been outcrossed in the previous generation (s) , so they have the potential, but alot of times a discus looks like one strain and carries the genes of others.. Wilds will breed true obviously in most cases though. Your best bet to get fish that will breed true is to work with a breeder where you can see the stock they are working with.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Thanks Al it's a bit of a mystery unless as you say the breeder has grown out a batch from a particular pair and knows their lineage or background as well. The pigeons are not always predictable as some have peppering and those that reach the marketplace may in fact be select or a small percentage of the actual brood or bloodline they are developed from.

Maybe we could start a DNA registry for discus..! Now there's an idea.

Best-

Registered Member

Are you in the BayArea, Marin County? You might
    be in luck.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

How do Cliff..?

Registered Member

Look for true strains (original Wattley and Schmidt Fockle) for true breeding. Currently most strains are by hybridization, but some can still produce established color as Al already mention.
    Check with Stanford Cichlid Lab, California Academy of Science and UC Davis for any DNA testing.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-24-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

IMG_3117.JPG

Here's my latest confirmed pair. They are from the same batch of fry.. non pigeon as far as I can tell.