ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Clear Poo and Spots?

Registered Member

Default Clear Poo and Spots?

My largest discus who was normally the tank king has been hiding, he has had clear poo for about 3 days now (might be longer and I didn't notice). He will snack on some foods but was usually the biggest pig of everyone. He also looks like he has a scratch or some type of scale issue on his side.

I'm new to discus and I don't want to treat w meds unless absolutely necessary if there are other solutions.

65 gallon with Hydro IV and Aquaclear 110. 6 Discus (most 3-3.5) He/She's the biggest at 4-4.5. 4 Sterbai Cories 1 BN Pleco.

I do bi-weekly water changes normally about 30%, recently been doing 50% daily as my pH was a little high (close to 7.8). I use treated tap water (all my fish are local and verified they are used to it). pH around 7.2, 0 readings nitrates, trites, ammonia. Temp 86 degrees. Light dusting of sand substrate.

Feed 3x/4x day. Frozen Hikari BW, Flake, Pellet, Freeze Dried Brine- Have a turkey heart mix they hate so I never use

Thanks for any advice, sorry the picture quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Clear Poo and Spots?

Matt,
    Have you ever dewormed your fish? The fish in question, though its a bad picture quality, looks like it has some pretty extensive Hole in the Head going on, facial pits and erosions. These can be cause by alot of things, but nutritional deficiencies are one. Insufficient nutrition and water quality issues can also cause it, as well protozoans and worms.

My first suggestion since you don't want to medicate would be up the water changes to daily 50% to see if theres improvement, but I would suggest deworming as the next action to try.. I also might try getting a liquid vitamin and soaking their food in it or maybe expanding the menu to something more nutritious.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Clear Poo and Spots?

Al,

Thanks- I don't mind treating if it's necessary. What kind of wormer should I use? Should I tread for hole in the head first? I will do another h2o change today. Here is another picture of the big guy and tank mate- does that look like HITH ( I used to have angels and I feel like they had those tiny holes?)
    Attached Images Attached Images