ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: About bioload

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default About bioload

I was wondering if the is a formula to figure out the bio load of an aquarium? I am still in the planning stages and have read the article on bio load but still a little confused by it. I have a 55 gal tank and planning on about 5-6 discus. All about 4-5" (budget). I have a sponge filter and a HOB filter. Also planning on a few cory's. Do I need to see when I get the fish to see what the test results are to see how often and how much I will need to change, or will I be able to know ahead of time?

Thank you
    Mark

Default Re: About bioload

Mark, there is no formula... there way too many variables even given all you stated. 55 gal tank, 5-6 fish at 4-5" inches... and using a sponge filter and HOB... I would assume feeding min. 2 times a day... possibly 3x with some standards Discus foods. You will want to do water changes of 50% daily initially at the minimum. You can back off after a week or so once your biofilter has caught up and the fish have healed from transport injuries and stress. Then its matter of watching the fish...they generally will tell you when they are not happy... They get dark, stressed, lose appetite, change in behavior. IF you see anything like these, pick up on the water changes. If the tanks water quality drops... pick up on the water changes.

I would also suggest, instead of a 55 , go with a 75 for that number of fish and to get better results,,, 55's are not ideal for Discus adults, IMO

The most important aspect in discus keeping is water quality....its not something you want to skimp on, especially with new fish or if you are a new Discus Hobbyist,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Thank you The 55 is all I have for right now. Someone said not to go with less then 5 or 6 fish, I guess because of schooling and picking order. Can you suggest another type of filter in addition to the sponge filter? The sponge filter i put a diy bottle with ceramic media and denitrate in it. To help with filtration. I might be able go to a 75 later. Any suggestion would be great Thanks

Mark

Real Name
    Kevin

http://aqadvisor.com/

You can use this website for a general guide line. I would go with about 75% of what they recommend with their stocking suggestions since Discus can be temperamental about their water quality.

I am a die hard aquaclear hob fan. All my 55,75, and 125s use the Aquaclear 110s.

You can grow your fish out in that 55 but as soon as they start to spawn, you will be needing a larger tank...it will get very busy in the 55gal ....

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hello Al I used aqadviser, hope i used it right. I imputed the info tank size and 6 adult Discus and it said:

Recommended temperature range: 82.4 - 87.8 F. [Display in Celsius]
    Recommended pH range: 5.5 - 7.5.
    Recommended hardness range: 1 - 10 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 271%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 25% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 87%.

The 25% per week, is that once a week or several times during the week?
    Thanks for the link. I use a Tetra 60 HOB filter. I am sure it is not the best.
    Maybe I should go with only 5 discus it would lower the stocking level some?

Mark

Real Name
    Mervin

When your talking discus,25% WC in a 55 gal. is nearly no WC at all.If that WC were to continue,it wouldn't take long and there would be water quality issues and the discus become sickly(it happens all the time on here).50%-100% WC is what most folks do on discus.You might get away with every other day,but daily would be better.Not sure about that filter and how much over turn it has,but like mentioned the AC110 would be ideal.Don't compromise the number of discus,6 is the bare minimum,more is ideal.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Mervin, Will work on getting the AC110. I will plan on doing 25-50% very other day to start and see how the test results go. Dont have discus yet will be a month or two, want to make sure I have everything in place. If there is anything else you think of please let me know. I need to find a container to cure the water over night still.

Thanks
    Mark