AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Adding fish to established pairs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Adding fish to established pairs

Good morning all.

I currently have 8 discus in a 125 gallon planted tank.
    3 Red Turqs
    2 Brilliant Turqs
    1 flachen * blue snakeskin
    1 red snakeskin
    1 leopard snakeskin

There are 3 regular pairings in the community tank and 3 territories to go with them. Spawning is always accompanied by a fair amount of fighting over who gets to use which of the assorted branches as a spawning site so there is always some ruckus in the tank.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room I have a 75 gallon tank currently housing angelfish which I would like to re-home so I can have a one "type" only discus set up with my current favorites being the brilliant turquoise. Before I do this though, I wanted to get the wild types to see if the brilliants remain my favorite.

On to the question, is it a bad idea to add an additional three 4" fish to the existing fish dynamics in the 125? Hans thinks it would be ok so long as the new fish are at least 4" but I'm a bit leery based on the usual height of aggression related to choice spawning sights. Basically I'd get one each of the stendker wild types, santerum, alenquar, and tefe green.

Default Re: Adding fish to established pairs

For 125 gallon you can stock more fish, is there going to be aggression ? - Yes, there will be. You need to add maybe 3-4 discus same time. How will that help ? - Aggression will spread the more group you introduce or chances are aggression can go down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    Good morning all.

I currently have 8 discus in a 125 gallon planted tank.
    3 Red Turqs
    2 Brilliant Turqs
    1 flachen * blue snakeskin
    1 red snakeskin
    1 leopard snakeskin

There are 3 regular pairings in the community tank and 3 territories to go with them. Spawning is always accompanied by a fair amount of fighting over who gets to use which of the assorted branches as a spawning site so there is always some ruckus in the tank.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room I have a 75 gallon tank currently housing angelfish which I would like to re-home so I can have a one "type" only discus set up with my current favorites being the brilliant turquoise. Before I do this though, I wanted to get the wild types to see if the brilliants remain my favorite.

On to the question, is it a bad idea to add an additional three 4" fish to the existing fish dynamics in the 125? Hans thinks it would be ok so long as the new fish are at least 4" but I'm a bit leery based on the usual height of aggression related to choice spawning sights. Basically I'd get one each of the stendker wild types, santerum, alenquar, and tefe green.

Registered Member

Default Re: Adding fish to established pairs

I have a pair In a 50 gallons tank. Could I add more discus? How many