ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not eating , dying after water change

Default Re: Not eating , dying after water change

Id test your pH out of the tap...aerate the water in a bucket and test the water again... it sounds like dissolved gasses /pH swings in those big water changes is your issue.

In the meantime i would limit your water changes to small frequent ones...20-30% .

You may need to start aging your water to larger ones.
    Hth,al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-21-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Id test your pH out of the tap...aerate the water in a bucket and test the water again... it sounds like dissolved gasses /pH swings in those big water changes is your issue.

In the meantime i would limit your water changes to small frequent ones...20-30% .

You may need to start aging your water to larger ones.
    Hth,al
    That's a very good point, if rest 5 stays with me .. next few months i'll be doing 20-30 percent water change. I hope 2-3 times, water change 20-30 % should be fine per week.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Looks like aggressive fin rot, it's spreading to other fishes. I'm starting with tetracycline. Any quick guide will help

Registered Member

Exclamation Re: Not eating , dying after water change

I have the same problem but my discus has turned completely black and he/she is not eating. I have been using metro and prazipro for the past 2 days and did a blue methlyene bath and sea salt bath. I am fairly new to keeping discus, but did a lot of research before buying them.On my discus head there are several tiny bumps on it. Here is a youtube link that has a discus that looks like mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtuMMBWf8SI

FYI that is not my tank and discus in the video, but the discus looks exactly like that one.

This is my discus, He/She looks really and i feel so depressed for it.

IMG_1965.jpgIMG_1965.jpgIMG_1965.jpg

If you know anything, please respond, Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Darwinism; 06-21-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinism View Post
    I have the same problem but my discus has turned completely black and he/she is not eating. I have been using metro and prazipro for the past 2 days and did a blue methlyene bath and sea salt bath. I am fairly new to keeping discus, but did a lot of research before buying them.On my discus head there are several tiny bumps on it. Here is a youtube link that has a discus that looks like mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtuMMBWf8SI

FYI that is not my tank and discus in the video, but the discus looks exactly like that one.

This is my discus, He/She looks really and i feel so depressed for it.

IMG_1965.jpgIMG_1965.jpgIMG_1965.jpg

If you know anything, please respond, Thanks!!!
    I would suggest to crank up temperature near 90 along with metro with meals.

Registered Member

Exclamation Re: Not eating , dying after water change

Quote Originally Posted by shamik View Post
    I would suggest to crank up temperature near 90 along with metro with meals.
    I have read that if you crank up the temp. to much the condition of the discus would get worse . According to Jack Wattley, a discus expert, the best temp. to keep is at 82 degrees f , and I have read it on several other forums too . Thanks for the advice though, Oh yeah, I do put metro in my food but as I said before the discus just won't eat it (Frozen brine shrimp, blood worms, and beefheart) for the past couple of days and I am really worried . He is a blue discus and is a juvenile who turned almost completely black in color). After I treated him with a salt bath and methanol blue, my hands would smell kinda bad but I think its his coat slime. He just sits at the bottom of the tank, not moving most of the time with clamped fins most times. Sometimes he would just stay in one area on the surface. I really want to help out this poor fella, please reply if you know anyone that have gone through this or any knowledge.

Thanks for reading the long post, I just want to be really detailed. Also look at my previous post on this thread to look at video and photos.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Please confirm that i'm facing fin rot. Here is the 4th victim. 3 others are in happy waters. Video - https://youtu.be/pGiiNTxIta4. Using tetracycline, 90 DF, filter off.

Real Name
    Mervin

@ Darwinism:::If it's a external bacterial infection(fin rot),the worst thing you can do is to crank up the heat.Furan2 is a good antibiotic for both external and internal bacteria infections.If there is no white feces or wasting,it is unlikely to be worms or protozoan so heat,Metro and or prazi in this case will not be an effective treatment.Best if you fill out the info in the hospital section to get an idea of what's going on.You might have more than one issue.Start your own thread.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 06-22-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    shamik

Thumbs up Re: Not eating , dying after water change

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    @ Darwinism:::If it's a external bacterial infection(fin rot),the worst thing you can do is to crank up the heat.Furan2 is a good antibiotic for both external and internal bacteria infections.If there is no white feces or wasting,it is unlikely to be worms or protozoan so heat,Metro and or prazi in this case will not be an effective treatment.Best if you fill out the info in the hospital section to get an idea of what's going on.You might have more than one issue.Start your own thread.
    Thanks Mervin, I've reduced temperature and praying for the 4 to stay with me.

Real Name
    Mervin

@shamiik..This seems to be happening more so during large 90% WC's,if that's correct.It was mentioned in a previous post about water movement at the surface.My thought also,might be as simple as an O2 issue.

Registered Member

Freshwater allergy or the water company might be
    cleaning out the system. Back down on large water
    changes. Fin rod from pH and kh changes. This happens also at LFS.

Cliff

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGSmith View Post
    You need to check your source water occasionally. It is not always as stated on the water company website. This last month my TDS has gone from a stable 250 gradually down to 80. Previously stable for 3 years.
    Wow I wish my water tds would drop like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12