ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How often do you clean your sponges?

Real Name
    Steve

Default How often do you clean your sponges?

This has probably been asked before, since it would seem like a basic question, but I've been wondering related to my experience.
    My usual routine has been to change most of a tank's water, and at the same time, squeeze out the sponges 40-60 times to clear out the dirtiest layers. I thought i was always leaving a core of good bacteria. That routine wasn't necessarily a problem, maybe an occasional mini-cycle.
    I recently started changing water using my well water straight (high hardness, same pH). I also chose not to rinse the sponges on most of the tanks. They look great.
    Can I just keep changing water and leave the filters alone, or do they really need to be rinsed?
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: How often do you clean your sponges?

I use Hydro V's and squeeze mine out once a week after doing 100% water changes daily. A lot of stuff comes out despite the big water changes and over filtration (2 sets of double stacked Hydro V's in a 75 gal tank). I'd think eventually they'll get clogged up without squeezing. I've since started switching over to the large pore Hydro's, which they list for ponds. Stuff will come out them too every week, but much less.

I'm sure the sponges can do with less squeezing, but when you're OCD about discus...

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

I do my intake filters everyday, every other day at the very least if I'm being lazy. I rinse them with a garden hose. Sponge filter I do once a week maybe more if it looks rough in tank water

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I rinse the HOB prefilters every day, but with the main sponge filters it depends on the tank. Once in a while when I'm siphoning I hold the tube against the sponge for a sec and if I see a burst of cloudy water coming from the sponge I figure its time for a few squeezes. It could be once a week or once a month.