ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: PH for discus!!

Registered Member

Default PH for discus!!

I am raising discus for last 7 months. My Water PH is 8.2. The discus are foong great and have grown from 2.5 inches to almost 6 inches.

I feel that high or low PH does not matter. What matter is the consistency of the PH.

What is your say?

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: PH for discus!!

Consistent clean water is the key! Not too many here will disagree Congrats on your results, care to share some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSurfer2 View Post
    I am raising discus for last 7 months. My Water PH is 8.2. The discus are foong great and have grown from 2.5 inches to almost 6 inches.

I feel that high or low PH does not matter. What matter is the consistency of the PH.

What is your say?
    Right on.

Real Name
    Mike

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter but it isn't crucial with domestics. However, lower ph can curb illness and discus would most likely prefer acidic ph below 7.

Registered Member

Sorry for changing the topic.. but just now i witnessed something about my yellow checkerboard..

I just tossed a single piece of hikari tropical food stick. Its quite big in size. The yellow discus saw some curiosity and then swallow the whole food stick. After that i tossed some 5-6 sticks, and five of my discuses just devoured on them. I really did not anticipate that they would like to eat those big sticks so much.

Will it be healthy to continue feeding these floating hikari tropical food sticks ?

Registered Member

Stable pH is more important. Lower pH however helps with nitrates, since ammonia stays at ammonium below a pH of around 6.5. Ammonium is less toxic to the fish. At higher pH, nitrates are geometrically more toxic to the fish. Also lower pH helps with hatch rates if you're getting a lot of eggs with fungus. Since the lower pH helps with that and bacteria.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSurfer2 View Post
    Sorry for changing the topic.. but just now i witnessed something about my yellow checkerboard..

I just tossed a single piece of hikari tropical food stick. Its quite big in size. The yellow discus saw some curiosity and then swallow the whole food stick. After that i tossed some 5-6 sticks, and five of my discuses just devoured on them. I really did not anticipate that they would like to eat those big sticks so much.

Will it be healthy to continue feeding these floating hikari tropical food sticks ?
    I agree on the ph but on the food a variety is best from what I have researched so those in adddition to whatever else you were feeding. I would soak the sticks until they were soft before feeding it to them though to prevent any bloating and constipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewhonest View Post
    I agree on the ph but on the food a variety is best from what I have researched so those in adddition to whatever else you were feeding. I would soak the sticks until they were soft before feeding it to them though to prevent any bloating and constipation.
    +1

The fish can and will eat a lot which is why it's important to not overfeed. Varied diet of high quality foods is also important
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is