ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It followed me home!

Real Name
    Matt

Default It followed me home!

It followed me home and now I can't get rid of it I swear! I think I might just keep it. This is the new beast in the barn, my newest investment. This was many many months in the making and I'm still trying to gather all of the accessories needed for it. Had to pull the trigger quick on the body so didn't have everything else ready. Caught it while Canon had a good stock of them up refurbished, got a great deal on it. Came in looking brand new and registers less than 11k shutter actuations which I consider very low especially for this camera. Not gaining any megapixels from my 5D mark II, but I am gaining roughly 8 years of tech in Autofocus, high ISO noise, low light ability, 120fps 1080 and 60fps 4k video, etc as well as a 16 fps still image shooting speed demon (sounds like a machine gun). Eventual plan is to get rid of the 5D mark II and add a high resolution body like the 5DSR so I have the best of both worlds, speed and resolution. I anticipate the next real pro bodies to come out sometime in 2019 or early 2020, as it's based on the Olympics (usually summer games), should be plenty of time to save up for my high resolution addition! Surprisingly this body feels 5x more ergonomic in my hands than my 5D Mark II which is thinner overall. I think the 1dx2 grip is deeper so there is more finger space, not sure what it is it just feels better. The built in battery is super nice, really good weather sealed camera too. It is heavier that is for sure.

Time to go eat some instant Ramen for a while....

My "new" Canon 1DX mark II. More pics and videos to come out of this camera, but figured I'd stage a little photoshoot of the body first. White Tshirt and a shoebox, can't beat it. So many buttons!
    1dx2 by Matt, on Flickr
    1dx2b by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: It followed me home!

Glad to see you finally pushed that button Matt. A huge congrats on your new baby. Awaiting pics from your new beast.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Pat. Just took it on a spin around the backyard, man this autofocus is SNAPPY! So so nice, been missing that. Will have to look at the pictures now to see if I have anything worth sharing. Going to take a bit to get used to the buttons, they are a bit different than the 5D line. Going to the beach in a few weeks, looking forward to getting some shots there. Lots of birds in opens spaces I can capture, and waves in 120fps video!
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am sure you will have that beast in-hand pretty fast. I have yet to play with vid.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

All I know is that this is a big deal thing for you. Congrats on your good forutne.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jim

WOW!! I just bought a Canon 80D not long ago and I thought THAT was expensive Can't imagine what that bad boy must have set you back!
    I'm sooooo envious lol
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Ralph

Glade you treated yourself Matt and know it's been on your wish list for some time.
    It would be a choice between this gem or a years university tuition for my daughter.Lol

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Matt

It definitely was not cheap! Hence why it's more of an investment to me haha, I kept my last body 8+ years so I expect it will somehow work itself out in the end.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    It definitely was not cheap! Hence why it's more of an investment to me haha, I kept my last body 8+ years so I expect it will somehow work itself out in the end.
    Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm sure this will be a great investment for you, as far as enjoying what you love. You should be able to enjoy the fruits of your hard labor, and i can't wait to see some pictures from you on here.

.....wish something similar to that follows me home some time
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Alrighty Then Matt! Its about time you pulled the trigger! Congratulations! I know how much you have been looking forward to this upgrade. Very cool and very much about time!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Loving it so far!! Video is kind of crap, to much noise and I'm still working on focus. This was handheld at about 400mm through a window, manual focus, in pre thunderstorm weather so I'll have to get back out when sunny and find the hummingbirds again. But the potential of what this camera can do at 120fps has me really excited.

-Matt

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Lovely subject...looking forward to what's to come
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Joe, me too! I want to work towards a calming, nature type video to start so I'm currently trying to collect any footage I can to be placed together into one video eventually. Looking at a new toy to go with this rig, budgets are being blown....but I love it.
    -Matt

hmm, I need to convince one of these to follow me home. Gotta learn sweet talk

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Loving it so far!! Video is kind of crap, to much noise and I'm still working on focus. This was handheld at about 400mm through a window, manual focus, in pre thunderstorm weather so I'll have to get back out when sunny and find the hummingbirds again. But the potential of what this camera can do at 120fps has me really excited.

That's a pretty good video considering the conditions you described. Well done! Thanks for sharing your impressions of the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast