AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 3 Pair one Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default 3 Pair one Tank

So while I sit around debating whether or not to add 3 additional fish so I can see the wild type in the same setting as the domestics, there has been an uprising in the tank. On the far left used to be a red turq female and the flachen*snakeskin male, in the middle is a red turq male with a red snakeskin female, and on the far right was the brilliant turq male to the leopard snakeskin female.

The pair on the left of the tank have a very loose bond and only spend time together when they spawn with the eggs disappearing within 24 hours.

The middle pair used to have the red turq male eating the eggs almost as fast as they were laid and the pair on the right, although doing all of the right things, are in a location where the rose line barbs eat the eggs the instant the parent fish leave to feed.

At some point last week the solid male from the left side pairing decided he wanted the territory on the right where the brilliant/leopard stay. After a rather long drawn out battle (days), he was successful in driving of the brilliant male but the leopard female refuses to leave and keeps sneaking her preferred partner back in. This just triggers more fighting. Will she ever accept the stronger male or should I be thinking more fish tanks at this point?

Meanwhile, the middle pair has suddenly been successful in laying and NOT eating a batch of eggs. They are now 24 hours old and still dark though hard for me to see. Then we have the poor red turq female who is still waiting on the far left side of the tank for someone a bit more likely to form a strong bond.

I had decided I wouldn't try to actually breed these fish but now I'm considering it. Hans advised I wait until I at least get wrigglers so I can confirm the fish who've been playing the male parts are truly male and fertile. Personally, I am not sure that with this much upheaval, never mind if I add additional fish, that I would ever get a spawn to that stage.

I have 2 thoughts. Either ignore the theatrics, get the additional fish and then convert the 75 gallon tank to a one type only tank or...use the 75 as a private refuge for one pair to see if they are ever successful. Thoughts?

In addition, the 75 gallon tank has been housing angelfish for 7 years or so, as a dirt bottom tank for 5. Is it possible that there would be some disease/parasite living in the dirt/plants/gravel that the angels aren't susceptible to but that may affect the discus? I've read that such may be the case and the angels of course, come from a different source as the discus.

All opinions are welcome as I'm a bit leery of seriously trying to breed these fish even though they seem determined. Mind you, there is still an additional brilliant turq male who is trying to sneak in on the action with the leopard female while her original partner is moping. And of course the remaining runty red turq who could perhaps be a test fish in the 75.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Re: 3 Pair one Tank

Middle pair spawn is not fertile. Eggs still there but getting paler.

Registered Member

The question is do you want to try and raise the fry. If the answer is yes buy a second and maybe a third tank. If the answer is no then I would try to sell the pair and purchase some new discus for the tank or sell all of the females.

Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

If any of the pairs prove fertile, I would like to try to raise a batch but I am not looking to do it as more than a "can I do it" type exercise. Right now I am leaning towards putting one pair into my 75 gallon tank to use as both a breeding and grow out tank. Once again though, I am not disrupting everything unless there is a fertile pair. As for selling the females, I am intrigued. I would only want to do that if there was a pickup or drop off. I am not willing to attempt shipping as I haven't the materials.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Fertile eggs finally. Only about half of them but after the multiple spawns from the different pairings at least I know I have one fertile pair. This particular pair is a red turquoise to the red snakeskin female. If any actually hatch, I'm going to revamp the 75 and put the pair into that tank and see if I can successfully raise a batch. If so, I may try a planned breeding as opposed to my "let's see what happens" approach.