ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Dumpster diving(shocking finds)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Default Dumpster diving(shocking finds)

I just moved back to Florida and after seeing the YouTube dumpster petsmart video. I thought I would give it a go.

So far in a week and a half I have found
    Marineland c360 canister filter(running in my 29 community tank)
    2 marineland 350 biowheels
    Marineland 200 biowheel
    55 gallon tank
    36 gallon bowfront tank with stand led light and lid
    About 10 betta tanks
    8 or 9 misc power filters
    3.7 gallon imagitarium all in one tank
    Fluval aquatic and plant nano light

100's of lbs of dog food( donated to a shelter)
    5 crates assorted sizes
    100's of leashes collars pet appears ( also donated)
    Numerous unopened hamster/ferret/ wire cages.

And just a bunch of random useful pet store stuff

Just thought I'd share my story about dumpster diving. As a disclaimer if you think you might do this just make sure it's legal.

I was amazed at what they throw out that is still very useful. Keep in mind all of this stuff was still in good working order some of it not even opened yet.

Just thought I would share.
    Last edited by Ewhonest; 06-24-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Dumpster diving(shocking finds)

Where is the video ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Just do a YouTube search for petsmart dumpster diving. There's a ton but one in particular a guy finds a breeder 40 brand new. It peaked my curiousity.

Now my wife wants to come just to see what I find

Real Name
    Pam

I get throwing out dog food that is past its best before date... but working filters and tanks? Why would that be in the dumpster?

Not Sure if I would dumpster Dive, but I am amazed by what people throw out. Its not as common now with Craigslist where it is listed as "curb alerts" but many towns around here used to have bulk pickup of refuse a few times a year . Years ago, A buddy of mine and I used to drive around scavenge anything we could. We would then have a tag sale and sell it. The goal was simple... The proceeds went to purchase Drinks and Food for a party. It worked quite well. We did that multiple times. It was a real blast.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ryan

I live in a College town here in Kansas, our population is abt 95,000 with abt 35-40,000 of those being students who move every year and even some every semester. The stuff that gets thrown out here is incredible. We have a ton of international students who once heading back to their respective countries, will put entire households out to the curb. because it would cost a fortune to ship home, and many dont know how to go abt getting rid of it here. or trust the locals coming over to buy. Dorm move out day is guaranteed to produce many mini fridges for fish rooms that need a food fridge/frzr. It can be quite competitive around here during those moving times. you can watch teams of trucks just driving up and down the alleys in a grid search pattern in the student ghettos looking for gold.LMAO
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Just did a ru. Today found a compete eheim auto feeder and a 40 gallon glass terri with a lid no issues at all on it(which is awesome since the wife wanted to use my 75 gallon for a bearded dragon). All the return receipts just say not salable. Can't figure it out either. I think it's probably people but them and either just dont know how to work it right, or think the tanks are cracked. Like the 36 gallon bow front I found looked like it was cracked but it was just silicone strings in the corners. A lot of the marineland filters also sound horrible like they are broken if you do t prime them before turning them on

A lot of the dog food is out of date but at 50-89$ a bag it's still good food.

I'm going to move my community tank to the 36 gallon so my angel fish pair and have the 29 gallon to breed safely.
    Last edited by Ewhonest; 06-27-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Regarding fish tanks, my guess is that returns cannot be resold without testing due to potential liability of one breaking in a home and all of the associated costs. Testing would be expensive offsite due to shipping costs. I bet Petco/Petsmart get these tanks en masse and pretty cheap, so it is likely more cost effective to throw it away and write it off.