AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tank bracing failed? Temp discus housing question.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Default Tank bracing failed? Temp discus housing question.

Well when it rains it pours. I'm new to the forum and was actually in the middle of taking pictures to introduce myself when I noticed the glass bracing that was installed on my 75 gallon tank was sagging into the tank. Glad I was taking picture or I might not have noticed. It has flexed a good bit not quite half of a inch.

It's being held together right now with 2 pieces of wood and to wide clamp/ braces.

Anyways here's my question. The only tank I have right now is a 36 bow front in the garage. How long can 6 discus 2 are 2 inches, 2 are 2.5 inches and 2 are 2.5-3 inches be okay in this setup with a sunsun 304b, large sponge filter and a eheim 2213.

I'll probably need at least a week to source some good glass cutters and set and let the new silicone cure.

With daily large water changes will these 6 fish be okay?

I know it's a broad question.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Also sorry if this is the wrong section for this

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Re: Tank bracing failed? Temp discus housing question.

I too am new to this forum but here is my advice for what it is worth. Set up the bow front with water from the already established tank and use the filter material already in use. Fish should be fine in the smaller tank as long as you keep them clean. Alternative is to drop the water level in the existing tank so you can thoroughly dry the bracing and re seal it. There are some silicone's out there that will cure while damp and cure within 24 hours. If you do it that way you can avoid the whole trauma of moving the fish.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

With very large daily WCs and using your existing media you should be fine for a week. Best of luck with your repairs.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm in for a long day. The only benefit to this is I can take the substrate out and go back to bare bottom with out super stressing the fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Well good news is I found a 65 gallon with a stand for 75. So I'll be able to just relocate and keep it all bare and clean from now on. Bad news is Waite wants the 75 gallon for a bearded dragon. I want to do a arowana lol.