ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Thoughts on this Petsmart "National Geographic" gravel as a substrate

Registered Member

Default Thoughts on this Petsmart "National Geographic" gravel as a substrate

I am currently running a 165 gallon tank with black Eco-complete substrate and a variety of discus. I chose the black substrate mainly to support the live plants in my tank. However, the colors on many of my discus are quite dark because of this. I know that they are healthy fish, the darkening is because of the substrate. However, if they ever do go dark because of stress or sickness, I would never know, because of the substrate, they are always dark!

I'd like to see the true colors of my discus, so I am going to be moving to a lighter colored substrate.

I know that most of the forum swears by pool filter sand. I'm hoping to find a small gravel so that I can more easily anchor plants without large root systems along with their root-tabs. I also have a legion of trumpet snails that keep my substrate aerated, but I don't know if that will work with sand. Finding a small gravel that won't alter the PH of the tank that is also light colored has been a problem. I want a small gravel that's heavy enough not to be picked up by my siphon and heavy enough to anchor the plants, yet is fine enough that it works well for plants as well as my trumpet snails. Not being pure white is also a bonus.

Which brings me to this substrate:
    https://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-...and-21325.html

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

I found this in Petsmart. The grain size is perfect. The color is great. It's white and tan, which should show the true color of the discus while also showing the poo less; I only do 50% water changes on M/W/F, so poo does build up over the weekend.

However, any of the other small gravel (but not fine sand) substrates that I've found that are white are for saltwater, or for maintaining a high PH in a african cichlid tank. The Petsmart substrate packaging looks and feels cheap, and does not mention if it will alter the PH. IT is not a painted substrate, so I thought that if I rinsed it out, I might give it a try.

Does anyone have experience with this substrate or have a good idea if it will alter PH? Because it's sold exclusively through Petsmart, the reviews I've found and discussion on it are not particularly in-depth.

If no one knows, I may pick up a 5lb bag and do some tests in bowls with tap water and see what happens to the PH.
    Last edited by undel; 06-26-2017 at 02:04 AM.

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Thoughts on this Petsmart "National Geographic" gravel as a substrate

Have not used that brand, but I reckon you will have no end of trouble with that gravel. I have used a similar size and found it a lot of work to keep clean. Fine sand with a few corydorus is a better option.

Default Re: Thoughts on this Petsmart "National Geographic" gravel as a substrate

This stuff is the perfect grain size. I just did a tank with it and planted some lotus bulbs and Crinum. Very easy to plant with, everything stayed put. I even tucked homemade root tabs into it and they stayed put.
    Do yourself a favor and go with something like this right off the bat! Plus you will save a lot of money!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I'm sure that substrate will be fine. Use it if you like the look over pool sand and doesnt alter ph much. I wouldnt put it in too deep or might be difficult to vacuum. You clean 3xs week is great if you siphon up junk out of gravel. Doesnt really have to be just pool sand or bare bottom in a discus tank. Just clean usually works best.
    Scott

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

I know eheim makes a lot of the nat geo stuff. I got like 10 liters of eheim nat geo branded bio pro for 4$ a box on clearance.

So it's definitely made by another reputable aquarium brand if I had to guess