AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Diatoms

Registered Member

Default Diatoms

Hi a think I may have a Diatoms issue (brown stuff on me glass and outlet pipes and ceramic plant pot and some the valissis leaves . A do 30% water change a week n feed three times a day. Mainly frozen. I've cleaned everything inside the tank and made the room dark to see if it was an over feeding or light issue. Av added seachem phosguard aswell to me filter but still no improvements. I have to clean the glass every couple days it's that bad.

I have 7 discus in a 350ltr juwel trigon tank running an eheim pro3 1200xl. All fish are healthy and breeding like rabbits. Every few days there are eggs of a pair on my outlet pipes.

I was wondering as is a strange shape tank could there not be enough water cerculation. There is lots of surfes movement of the spray bar.

Thanks

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Diatoms

Is it a new set up?Are you using a silica(a type of quartz) based substrate?Both these can cause diatoms.It will go away as the tank establishes well.Or the particles of silica are gone in the water column,from a new substrate.

Registered Member

Hi thanks for the quick reply, the tank has been running 9 month now not sure onthe suntrate it's sand I bought from an aquatic shop

Registered Member

Hi just checked and yes it's a Cilicia based sand, how long will this take to clear

Real Name
    Mervin

If the sand is 9 months old it should be clear by now.

Registered Member

No it was fine for ages but since we moved house 3 month ago it's got really bad. Might have to get me water tested

Real Name
    Mervin

If it's the same sand,it may be because it got stirred up.I've had it in some of my tanks for as long as 5 months,but does take time.It is a primitive algae and does not require much light.3 day "total"black outs gets rid of most algae types;not sure if diatoms will react the same.It's worth a try,but may return until the tank gets will established.Cycled and established means two different things to me.