ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Blue dye in Cobalt Foods

Default Blue dye in Cobalt Foods

Hello!
    I use Cobalt Discus flakes in my auto feeder and something I have been meaning to look up but keep forgetting to is the dye in the blue flakes. On the ingredients list it just says 'color added'... Not really a fan of that, especially if its chemical dyes, which I am guessing it is.

Searching around Google isnt turning anything up, does anyone know what dyes they are using and if its harmful - or even if not harmful, something that could impact color of the fish? I am thinking like that neon pink farmed salmon that they pump full of fake color type of deal.

Thanks!

Default Re: Blue dye in Cobalt Foods

I have been looking into color enhancers for a long time since my Golden Checkerboard was turning orange. What I have discovered unfortunately is there are additives in every commercially prepared food. I even went as far as asking Forrest Teo, Kenny's exporter about his Aqua Bites. There are different kinds of enhancers - you will see things such as "natural marine" meaning shrimp, krill, etc.. asthaxanin is a natural red enhancer as well as spiralina. Other foods may have food coloring or other synthetic colors. I am no expert but I would imagine these are in very tiny quantities like additives in our food. I personally avoid them in my opinion natural is better for us. I know you give your fish an excellent variety of goods so any one food should not give you any trouble. I seem to remember they eat better than you do some nights! This is all IMO though, let's see what the others here have experienced.

Real Name
    Ryan

From what I know abt Cobalt foods is that the Blue flakes are the Probiotic flakes, and are dyed to represent that.
    As far as whats in the dye, I am not sure. On my forum there has long been a discussion of our fish taking less of a liking to the blue flakes. Mine personally would gobble up all but the blue flakes. Dont get me wrong, they would pick at them, but not eat them like the other flakes in their mix. I experimented with it a bit by trying the Brine Shrimp, ProBreeder, and Discus Hans Formulas and got the same results with my fish dis interested in the blue flakes. I asked Cobalt at one point abt it and they said that all formulas are created differently in their foods but the Probiotic flakes are all the same in each formula, so they dye them blue for when mixing formulas/types of foods. They gave no info on the dye.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Interesting, thanks! I have not noticed them disliking the blue flakes but that is weird they use the same base for all the blue flake - I guess that means the protein content is inconsistent depending on how much blue flake I get out lol. I just think if it was a natural dye they would say that, as that would be a bragging point.

Jenene, thanks, I doubt the small amount in one of their feedings is a health issue, I was also hoping it wouldnt mess with their colors, dont want my reds turning blue! :P

Real Name
    Mervin

Perhaps Blue#1 or Indigo Blue #2.

Real Name
    Mervin

My discus and other tanks loved the Cobalt Flakes,both the red and blue equally.I don't like the idea of dyes in food either,even mine.I just switched to NLS optimum all purpose.They don't look to have as much dyes and all the fish went crazy for them on first feeding.

Good to know, I have NLS pellets - however they just stare at me as the pellets float by - LOL, spoiled brats...