AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Eheim Prefilters

Real Name
    Jim

Default Eheim Prefilters

Hi all,

When I installed my Eheim Pro 4+ a couple of months ago, I used one of those new gray Eheim prefilters on the intake. I change the prefilter inserts every 3 to 4 days and the sponges do not seem all that dirty. The inside of the canister on the other hand has been disgusting both times I've opened it up, so my thought is that these prefilters don't work very well and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these and what your experience has been with them. Changing the cartriges every day, or every other day may be the answer but they are a real P.I.T.A. to change out in a 24 inch deep tank.

I may need to re-route the intake to a bulkhead fitting and use a regular prefilter sponge (which would be a real P.I.T.A. to rework the tubing) - those sponges keep my wet/dry canister clean for months

Pic below - any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cosmo; 06-28-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Default Re: Eheim Prefilters

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Hi all,

When I installed my Eheim Pro 4+ a couple of months ago, I used one of those new gray Eheim prefilters on the intake. I change the prefilter inserts every 3 to 5 days and the sponges do not seem all that dirty. The inside of the canister on the other hand has been disgusting both times I've opened it up, so my thought is that these prefilters don't work very well and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these and what your experience has been with them. Changing the cartriges every day, or every other day may be the answer but they are a real P.I.T.A. to change out in a 24 inch deep tank.

or I may need to re-route the intake to a bulkhead fitting and use a regular prefilter sponge (which would be a real P.I.T.A. to rework the tubing)

Pic below - any thoughts?
    I use that filter and works great. When I open it the sponges are full of sludge and canister stays clean. Make sure it's properly attached to your intake. It should fit very snuggly. You have to kind of find where it fits in but once you do it fits very tight. My guess is it is not fit right and stuff is bypassing it

I run mine on a pro 4+ 600
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Silver Member

i have 1 on each of my 2217s. i only use the bottom half of the prefilter on both intakes. it collects all the larger stuff. i clean them every other day while doing w/cs. they work well keeping the course pad and the mech free of the big sludge.

Real Name
    Jim

Mine is on a 600 also and I have it on an Eheim installation kit syphon tube, not the one that comes with the filter, the tight fit is one of the things that makes it difficult to change out the cartridges, would be easier if I could slip the entire thing off and replace instead of dropping off the two sponge chambers and then somewhat blindly clipping them back into place - the tank is both 24in higha and 24in wide and I basically need to lay on top of the tank to use both hands in the exchange

Looks like I'll be going to daily changes :P

Thanks for the input

Silver Member

I also have the installation kits on mine in a 72 gallon bow front, 23 inch high. if you keep working at the clip to remove the strainers from the siphon tube connected to the intake pipe, it will eventually loosen enough to make cleaning the cartridge easier. it also slips on with a click when reinstalling it. i use a net around the cartridge before i remove it to keep all the junk on the strainer from falling back into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Mine is on a 600 also and I have it on an Eheim installation kit syphon tube, not the one that comes with the filter, the tight fit is one of the things that makes it difficult to change out the cartridges, would be easier if I could slip the entire thing off and replace instead of dropping off the two sponge chambers and then somewhat blindly clipping them back into place - the tank is both 24in higha and 24in wide and I basically need to lay on top of the tank to use both hands in the exchange

Looks like I'll be going to daily changes :P

Thanks for the input
    Just takes practice. I am able to unclip and reclip one handed now that I've done it so many times. I usually unclip mine every other day with water change. When the tank is more than half empty it's not hard to work with.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Jim

I've been able to reclip it once only. my problem is to reach it I have to be on a step stool turned sideways, and then there's the surface agitation although I usually waited until the tank was 2/3 empty using my fingers for my eyes still made it difficult. Yesterday I changed it while the tank was full and loosened a section of the installation kit and removed the whole thing (which I can't do if the tank is partially drained without losing my intake syphon), changed the chartridge and re-inserted. I'd think it'd be much easier with a smaller tank than it is with the 180. In any event, after two days the sponges were slimy which I took as a good thing so looks like changing every day or other day at most will be the new routine.
    Last edited by Cosmo; 06-30-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Silver Member

Jim,
    I replaced 1 of my eheim prefilters with this.. ..http://www.thatpetplace.com/prefilte...e-2-3-5-7-pump... its danner part number 12505

it fits nicely over the installation kit intake pipe.

prefilter2.jpg

prefilter.jpg

taking in on and off is a breeze. i found it at a local pond shop for $9. just leave the plastic insert that comes with it and place that on the intake pipe.

these also fit aquaclear 110 intake tubes
    Last edited by jim LI; 07-11-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Real Name
    Jim

looks like it should be much easier.. thanks!

Real Name
    Eric

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    I use these on my smaller intake tubes. i have 1 in the pic i posted.