ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bleached Drift wood

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Default Bleached Drift wood

So I have searched and searched

I found and was given some old parrot drift wood perches. I'm not sure the type of wood of the perches but the roots I saved were from ilex vinitoria or yaupon.

I soaked them all in bleach baths for a couple days then soaked them for 2 weeks with regular tap and water conditioner ( about 5 times the dosage per gallon.) then let them dry in the sun for another week. I have started soaking them again in a 65 gallon tank with weights on them and a air stone and conditioner again.

How long until these would be safe to use in a aquarium again or if at all? Or can I somehow test them for contaminants?

Some I can boil but 4 or 5 of the pieces are huge to large in size.

If I let them soak until they sink (if that ever happens)�� Would you think they would be safe enough to put back into the tank or would you not risk it. They are awesome pieces but I'm terrified to hurt my swim buddies.

Thought about getting some feeder guppies to put in the tank to test it for awhile.

What do you guys think. Have I done all the right steps or is there something else I can do to further making these pieces safe for the aquarium.

Default Re: Bleached Drift wood

Hi Eric,
    Odds are pretty good they are safe now. Bleach is an oxidizer that reacts with organic matter. It won't have penetrated deep into the wood as a result... The steps you have taken should have been more than enough. I would not add those feeder guppies, no telling what pathogens they would introduce. Better option is test the water with a chlorine kit... would not hurt to test for ammonia too since these were parrot perches. Birds excrete concentrated ammonia in their waste. Its not likely theres any left on the wood but its an easy enough thing to test for,

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Default Re: Bleached Drift wood

Thanks that's great advice