AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Angel fish id help?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Default Angel fish id help?

My angel fish decided to breed. Deciding weather I want to set up another tank or let nature take its course. They seem to be doing great as parents they are wiggles now about 40 of them moved to a electrical cord. I have no idea if they are just common angel fish or Altums which I hear are extremely hard
    To breed. From pictures I have t found any clear indicators one way or the other.

I thought they were both females but they proved me wrong.

Here's the momIMG_0170.jpg

It won't let me post anymore picture for some reason.

But any help would be appreciated

Registered Member

Default Re: Angel fish id help?

Common silver scalare angel. Very nice one, though.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

I wish I could get the dad picture to show up. They are stunning although the female is a little beat up now from defending her young and mating( lip locking) I have about 40 big wigglers now debating putting them in a breeder net or letting them Do their parenting.

They were the very first fish I bought and I only got 2 lucked into a breeding pair

Registered Member

I would let them do their thing. If there are other fish in the tank and you want to try breeding, give the angels their own 20g or 29g for the next attempt. It often takes a few tries for the parents to get it right, and some never do figure out how to raise babies. Luckily, angelfish are easy to artificially raise if you end up going that route. Good luck with them!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Yea I think I'm going to do that in the next few month I'll move them to a 25 gallon and just see what the do I have some Hilario first bites if any of these make it to free swimming. I'm also going to get another large sponge filter and start seeding it this afternoon

Real Name
    Mike

Silver. I have a proven male silver that is fertile backed up by the 400 kids I am raising for him right now. I get a better hatch rate by pulling the eggs and putting them in a breeder box while treating with Hyd Peroxide for fungus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

I ended up pulling the wigglers after a water change and putting them in a bredder net. the 2 mollies in the tank finally discovered them,ate a bunch. But the problem now is the parents as they are starting to swim and rest towards the net they suck them through it and kill them. So I made a little plastic cage for it. I only have about 10 left. But there one by one going free swimming now I'll probably start feeding them this afternoon.

Next investment is going to be the hang on the back breeder box until I can get the 60 gallon sponge cycled and into a 25 gallon and just let the rents do their job.
    Last edited by Ewhonest; 07-04-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Yes, the breeder box is the way to go. You need to feed live baby brine shrimp if you want to put some size on them. Do yourself a favor and get a pump instead of using air. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZW6OHHY..._JzTfxbBQK09JH
    Last edited by White Worm; 07-04-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    eric walters

Luckily I have a few low gph pumps lying around, the mom finally got to all the babies she was determined. Just going to let her do it all the way through next time until I can get the nicer bredder box. Worst case scenario it saves me some pennies on food for a day or 2

Real Name
    Mike

They do get very defensive over the eggs and will eat them most of the time. As soon as they are done, I have to sneak up, net the mom (which isn't easy) shove the dad off and quickly cut the leaf that has the eggs. Straight into the breeder box that has a direct flow from the main tank plus its own air stone. This last time, I used more Hyd Peroxide for fungus and got a 95% hatch rate. I think I had a total of 13 white eggs and now I will have free swimmers (300+) in the next day or so.