AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Endlers or Guppies as discus tankmates

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Default Endlers or Guppies as discus tankmates

Hi every one ,
    I have 2 tanks with discus and sterbies corys as tank mates , the question i like to ask is '
    . Is endlers or guppies a good tank mates for discus?
    . Is it true that live bearers carry parasites that is ok for them but not good for discus ?
    The idea is that the fries will be the live food for discus and their population will be controlled that way.
    Has any body has had any practical experience with these fish and discus and which one have you have been happier with ?
    Any comment would be appreciated .
    Sayid

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Re: Endlers or Guppies as discus tankmates

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi every one ,
    I have 2 tanks with discus and sterbies corys as tank mates , the question i like to ask is '
    . Is endlers or guppies a good tank mates for discus?
    . Is it true that live bearers carry parasites that is ok for them but not good for discus ?
    The idea is that the fries will be the live food for discus and their population will be controlled that way.
    Has any body has had any practical experience with these fish and discus and which one have you have been happier with ?
    Any comment would be appreciated .
    Sayid
    I haven't kept the endlers or guppies with the discus but I actually do have mollies in with them. I like to keep some type of live bearer around as a handy source of live snacks. I've also noticed my discus seem to enjoy hunting down the babies. I am going to try it with Endlers and American Flag fish in my 75 but that won't be for a couple of weeks yet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    I haven't kept the endlers or guppies with the discus but I actually do have mollies in with them. I like to keep some type of live bearer around as a handy source of live snacks. I've also noticed my discus seem to enjoy hunting down the babies. I am going to try it with Endlers and American Flag fish in my 75 but that won't be for a couple of weeks yet.
    I had 6 balloon mollies with 5 discus in my 55 g tank a few years ago and there were generally get on pretty well together ,the only issue was the fact that mollies produce a lot of waste as they are constantly eating a bit like goldfish but thank you Beth for your input .

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Sayid I keep Endlers in with my Discus. No problems at all. They take the 84 degree water just fine. And their fry do end up eaten by the Discus. I have a 75 gal tank with 7 adult Discus and about 12-20 Endlers. Every once in awhile I choose some pretty ones from the Endler tank and add them in with the Discus. Both fish pay no attention to each other, except for the fry who get eaten.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Sayid I keep Endlers in with my Discus. No problems at all. They take the 84 degree water just fine. And their fry do end up eaten by the Discus. I have a 75 gal tank with 7 adult Discus and about 12-20 Endlers. Every once in awhile I choose some pretty ones from the Endler tank and add them in with the Discus. Both fish pay no attention to each other, except for the fry who get eaten.
    Barb
    Thanks Barb for getting back, from your comment i can see that the endlers fry would be eaten up by the discus but do adult endlers get eaten up as well and is that the reason that once in awhile you have to add more endlers to the discus tank. also do i need to keep a separate tank for endlers as well ?
    I appreciate your input.

Yes, the smaller, slower swimming Endlers do end up as Discus food. But they don't touch the larger ones, so now I just put the bigger ones into the tank. A separate Endler tank is a good idea if you want to keep some in the Discus tank always. Endlers reproduce so fast it is almost unbelievable. I started out with just a few 6 years ago and have had what seem like millions since then.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Yes, the smaller, slower swimming Endlers do end up as Discus food. But they don't touch the larger ones, so now I just put the bigger ones into the tank. A separate Endler tank is a good idea if you want to keep some in the Discus tank always. Endlers reproduce so fast it is almost unbelievable. I started out with just a few 6 years ago and have had what seem like millions since then.
    Barb
    Would you put guppies with discus like you have done with endlers?

I don't know if guppies can take the high temp. And they don't swim as fast as Endlers, with their long tails. Maybe, but I don't keep them, someone else may be able to tell you here.
    Barb

Real Name
    Ryan

I actually did well keeping guppies with discus, sayid.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    I actually did well keeping guppies with discus, sayid.
    Thanks Ryno for your input .
    I don't know if guppies can take the high temp. And they don't swim as fast as Endlers, with their long tails. Maybe, but I don't keep them, someone else may be able to tell you here.
    Barb
    Thanks Barb for your response .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dustin

I have 3 pairs of beautiful nebula steal guppies with 6 discus in a planted 55g. They are as happy as can be and swim comfortably with each other

Do you have a picture of your tank? Sounds like a pretty tank.
    Barb