ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Photobucket is now holding your pictures for ransom

Real Name
    Rick

Default Photobucket is now holding your pictures for ransom

In sweeping an unannounced changes to their policy, photobucket has essentially implemented major changes to their policy in an effort to try to extort money from innocent users that have for years stored a lifetime of work and memories on their "free" site.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/pho...-embedded-web/

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/ph...hosted-images/

http://au.pcmag.com/webcom/48683/new...s-the-internet

"The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation."

While I can see their right to implement changes, to do so in the manor in which they did (without any prior notification) is not only unethical, but I question it's legality.

-Rick
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 07-02-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Photobucket is now holding your pictures for ransom

This sounds like they are desparate for funds... I bet they go under soon. Bummer you cant get your pics Rick. i have some pics and vids there from before I started using Flickr..Im pretty sure I have copies though.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

I can still access all of mine. I stopped actively using them years ago though and switched to Flickr and others, sooooo much better than Photobucket.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I can still access all of mine. I stopped actively using them years ago though and switched to Flickr and others, sooooo much better than Photobucket.
    Just checked, I can now get too my library. I imagine service will be spotty for the next few weeks with photobucket as people scramble to download and move their photo's to a different site, and the traffic will bring their servers to a crawl. At the heart of the issue here is that many people use or have used photobucket in the past, uploaded their pictures, and then used that link to post to third party sites. This would effect small forums such as Simply, blogs, not to mention bigger sites like ebay (stores). The price they want to charge ($400.00) to allow for this "linking" has all but guaranteed they will be out of business in a very short time. It also brings to question, will other picture hosting sites soon follow suit?

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If you read the links sounds like there is a way to download your content. May be a good idea if the site is indeed in danger of going belly up. Many of my older threads will be trashed.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

People should sue over this. You can't just offer a service for free and out of nowhere, with no warning, take that away from them. I don't know law, but I know what is unfair.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    If you read the links sounds like there is a way to download your content. May be a good idea if the site is indeed in danger of going belly up. Many of my older threads will be trashed.
    Pat
    It's probably just a matter of time before they charge you to do that as well. Legally I don't know, but from an ethics point of view, that was really shady what they did. Hard to imagine them being around much longer, can't see why anyone would opt to stay with them after this. Maybe just one last money grab for them before they close up shop completely.

-Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Matt

I'm sure they buried it in the TOS without letting many people know, and most won't read it anyway including me. It is crappy business but you know it happens.

They are crazy if they think people will pay $400 for this. They can't even handle hosting HD images themselves. Their quality is not worth the price.

I need to double check just to make sure no cards are attached to my account from me using their premium service in the past. Just so they can't automatically charge me.

Well this stinks.....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-renamed/page9

My pics in my Angelfish being reared by discus are accessible still at PhotoBucket, but my videos hosted there don't load... maybe their server is overwhelmed. Now I need to upload them again. 3rd time for that thread. Jeeze.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Well this stinks.....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-renamed/page9

My pics in my Angelfish being reared by discus are accessible still at PhotoBucket, but my videos hosted there don't load... maybe their server is overwhelmed. Now I need to upload them again. 3rd time for that thread. Jeeze.

al
    I think the bulk of their problems right now are due to the mass exodus of people from their site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]