ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What should I do?

Registered Member

Default What should I do?

Hi all,
    I'm currently running a 75 gallon tank in which one of the discus is showing symptoms of Hex (white poo, no eating) but the other ones are fine. But I'm moving them to a completely new tank set up (a smaller one since I'm getting some big ones for the 75) and wondering what should I do to the tank? Did the sick discus possibly contaminate the water and filter? So should I drain the entire tank and clean up the filters to get it back to healthy condition for new fish?

Default Re: What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by tnguy161 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm currently running a 75 gallon tank in which one of the discus is showing symptoms of Hex (white poo, no eating) but the other ones are fine. But I'm moving them to a completely new tank set up (a smaller one since I'm getting some big ones for the 75) and wondering what should I do to the tank? Did the sick discus possibly contaminate the water and filter? So should I drain the entire tank and clean up the filters to get it back to healthy condition for new fish?

At this point you don't really know what the issue is...you are assuming its Hex by its symptoms but that may or maynot be true. Even if it was hex, it won't last long out of the fishes body... I would move the fish, and if you need Biofiltration for their new home , use it from the 75 gal. tank. IF not drain the 75, thoroughly rinse all filters and equipment and set back up.. You can use pure ammonia to keep the cycle on the 75. If you are really worried though, just bleach the tank and start over clean on the 75, Do a fishless ammonia cycle in then.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: What should I do?

Thanks Al,
    Will do as you recommended.