AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help with ro

Registered Member

Default Help with ro

I'm using ro in my 55 gallon tank, has anyone used Remineraliz-P? Does it buffer the kh ? Or do I need to add a kh buffer? If you have used it what dosage was you using? Sorry about the silly questions I'm new to discus and ro , cheers in advance

Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: Help with ro

I don't have any experience with that product in particular but in the past I always just used a mix of RO and my tap water at a 80/20 mix of RO to tap and had great results.

Registered Member

So forget any added minerals? Only problem I have is my tap water nitrates are quite high so it feels like a wasted water change , I thought by using pure ro and minerals I could keep my nitrates under control , it just seems no matter how much I put in I can't raise the kh past 3 but gh and ph will keep climbing , really annoying me Iv been at this for a week now, all I want is steady water changes with steady parameters I'm scared my ph will swing with a kh of 3 , I'm new to keeping discus and I'm not gonna lie the last month has been nothing but hassle , I love these dang things tho, any suggestions will be more than welcome , thank you

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

How much nitrate is in the tap water? I know its hard to measure it with any precision but it might be manageable with a mix of ro. Then you could have stability and minerals without the hassle of adding stuff.

Real Name
    Sean

Like DJW said we really need to know what level your nitrates are coming straight from the tap before we can make any informed decisions to offer you solid advice. If your tap is infact really awful you could go to your local Walmart and buy a few 1 gallon jugs of spring water to add to your tank whenever you do a water change. The spring water jugs are usually about $1.00 each and depending on your tank size you'll only need a few per water change. I know that it's another expense but that's a 100% way to guarantee you won't be adding nitrates and as long as you always add the same amount of jugs per water change it'll ensure that your water is stable. The issue with using a remineralization product is that if your measurements and dosages fluctuate with water changes then your water chemistry will fluctuate accordingly. I've found that stable water parameters are one of if not the most important part of raising discus. It can be argued that water changes are the most important but if your water isn't stable you'll do more harm than good. Also I've heard that the test kits from seachem are more accurate than the API ones so you might want to order a seachem kit from amazon.