AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 140 gallon (540l) hitech planted tank

Registered Member

Default Re: 140 gallon (540l) hitech planted tank

Jerry, tank looks wonderful! I'm currently trying to balance plant and discus to find that sweet spot. What kind of substrate are you using? Are you using anything to help the plants? Your Discus also look great! What kind of food are you feeding and how often? Sorry for all the questions.

Registered Member

Thank you James, I don't use pH controller and I'm injecting CO2 non-stop - but with quite high water-surface movement, so it makes very stable CO2 level as well as pH. Lights are T5 HO tubes, 4x49W. I'm switching tubes on and off gradually - but I'd like to have option for better intensity regulation, so I'll probably switch to LED chips.

Registered Member

I was lowering Gh quite slowly, around 2 degrees per week. Discus were happy all the time, plants didn't melt at all - even cryptocorynes are fine.

Registered Member

no problem at all, substrate is river sand (1-4mm). I'm not using any special substrate, but I'm using JECOD DP-2 dosing pump for fertilisers to keep stable levels of NO3=15mg/l, PO4=1.4, K=10, Fe=0,1-0,2mg/l. I'm measurng water parameters every 2 weeks and then I adjust dosing formula if necessary - it's very close to PPS Pro method, but I'm trying to keep very stable conditions.
    Food - I'm switching quite a lot of kinds - Discus special (it's BH + vitamins etc.) 1-2x per week, frozen worms (black and white), artemia - its one of their favorite. Granules - Hikari Tropical Discus Bio Gold, Tetra Diskus, Tetra Diskus Energy, Sera discus color Blue, Spirulina & Chlorella flakes, fresh bananas

Registered Member

DSC_1741s.jpg
    https://youtu.be/bRHGhTb7SmY
    Some new photo and video, both plants and fish are growing well. Plants still need a couple of months to get to the right size. I also have a new project, 1344l (355 gallon), 10,5 ft. long. Still in planning stage, but I already have permission from my wife (most important thing! :-)) and I've finalized stand design - it will be in the living rooms, so it needs to fit well in there I'm not planning this kind of planted tank, but some Amazon Swords and maybe Vallisnerias will be there. I'll setup new topic once I'll start with some real work on this tank

Quote Originally Posted by Jarry View Post
    DSC_1741s.jpg
    https://youtu.be/bRHGhTb7SmY
    Some new photo and video, both plants and fish are growing well. Plants still need a couple of months to get to the right size. I also have a new project, 1344l (355 gallon), 10,5 ft. long. Still in planning stage, but I already have permission from my wife (most important thing! :-)) and I've finalized stand design - it will be in the living rooms, so it needs to fit well in there I'm not planning this kind of planted tank, but some Amazon Swords and maybe Vallisnerias will be there. I'll setup new topic once I'll start with some real work on this tank
    Great scape
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Stunning tank! What are your stocking plans for the new monster tank?

Real Name
    Patty

This would be a nice entry for this months photo contest!

Registered Member

Jarry your tank is stunning and exactly what I want mine to be like as in a perfect mix of discus and plants. Can you please provide me with details on the C02 system you use as, even after 25 years of keeping discus with poor plant growth, I've never tried and feel now is the time. Maybe PM me if easier? Branch

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    Stunning tank! What are your stocking plans for the new monster tank?
    New tank is on the stand already with driftwood and sand - I'm currently filling it with RO water, but still a lot of work to do - at least some plants, I need to build the light etc. I had to change a size, it is 304 gallon at the end. I'm going to move 7 discus from this tank + add 10 F2 Cuipeuas. More info + photos soon.

I had a big BGA issues with this planted tank couple of months ago, it killed almost all plants. I wasn't able to find the reason for months, now I'm 90% sure that problem was in a substrate (river sand). So now it is more biotope as I'm fully occupied by the new tank and I had to make tank maintenance easier.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Branch View Post
    Jarry your tank is stunning and exactly what I want mine to be like as in a perfect mix of discus and plants. Can you please provide me with details on the C02 system you use as, even after 25 years of keeping discus with poor plant growth, I've never tried and feel now is the time. Maybe PM me if easier? Branch
    I build my own CO2 set, it is quite easy - but I only have a guide how to do it in Czech language With the right plants for the higher temperature (blyxa, all rotala sp., pogostemons), it is not so complicated, but next time I would use much thinner layer of sand (around 1-1.5 inch of pool filter sand) as my deeper layer of a river sand stopped working after around 1,5 years - I had the same issue with the other tank with the same sand and I never had BGA issue in any tank with pool filter sand. The most complicated is probably using fertilizers for plants, I'm creating my own mix (based on my input water parameters), but any good commercial fertilizers (like Seachem ones) should work well too.

Registered Member

New tank should be ready soon :-) I'm thinking about to add some tetras first, probably Lemon Tetras, around 100pcs.
    https://youtu.be/n4WVTAXAc9Q

Registered Member

200 Lemon Tetras in new aquarium: https://youtu.be/ZIIbAhrRMzY

Registered Member

Some photos of a new tank (300 gallon)
    DSC01401_edited_s.jpgDSC01415s.jpgDSC01408s.jpg

Registered Member

Great Job!! Love the amount of Tetras in there!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast