ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Flavor enhancers and appetite stimulants please list any you know of for a mix

Real Name
    Sean

Default Flavor enhancers and appetite stimulants please list any you know of for a mix

I'm looking to make a home made seafood and blackworms pellets mix on the 14th when my refurbished vitamix 5300 is delivered. I found the vitamix on sale at Williams Sonoma with free shipping for $269.99 and a five year warranty which is a huge deal on the msrp $529.95 food processor. I used offer code July at checkout for free shipping which saved me an extra $30, it came out to about $292 after tax. So far I've ordered the following ingredients for my mix 15 pounds of Al's Vintage Blackworms Pellets, 100 grams of Pro-more, 50 grams of Pro-growth, 100 grams of Nori powder, 50 grams of Lysine, and 1 pound of super beef heart flake with Pro-growth. I'm also thinking about ordering one kilo of pure organic Spirulina powder online for $19.99 with free shipping. As far as other ingredients go I'm looking to add fresh garlic, shrimp, tilapia, scallops, and possibly cod. I'm looking to add any flavor enhancers or appetite stimulants that you guys have used with success in the past or know of. I've heard of some people using paprika powder as well as garlic but I would need to know of the proper amount to use per pound. I'm probably going to be making 30-40 pounds of food with all the stuff I have ordered. I'm also trying to find out how much fresh garlic, shrimp, tilapia, scallops, and possibly cod I need to buy to mix with the 15 pound of blackworms pellets without having to add water to my mix. I was also going to buy some omega 3 and 5 liquid gel caps to prick with a pin and add to my mix I was thinking two or three capsules per blender full. I also have 480 grams of Al's Planktoplus discus gold but idk if I should add it to the mix or not. I really don't want to have to deal with cleaning beefhearts so that's why I'm using seafood and blackworms as a base. I'm also planning on adding boiled spinach and egg yolks but I'm not sure how much I'm going to need to buy.

TLDR Short version below
    1) I got a vitamix 5300 for $292 from Williams Sonoma with offer code July
    2) Looking for known flavor enhancers and appetite stimulants for homemade mix.
    3) I want to know how much fresh garlic, shrimp, tilapia, scallops, and possibly cod I need to buy to mix with the 15 pound of blackworms pellets without having to add water to my mix.
    4) Would 1 kilo of organic Spirulina powder be good to add to the mix?
    5) I've ordered these additives already 100 grams of Pro-more, 50 grams of Pro-growth, 100 grams of Nori powder, 50 grams of Lysine, and 1 pound of super beef heart flake with Pro-growth.
    6) What do you think about my mix?
    7) I'm also planning on adding boiled spinach and egg yolks but I'm not sure how much I'm going to need to buy.
    8) I have two digital scales to measure out grams and pounds for the additives.
    Last edited by ssevasta; 07-04-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Default Re: Flavor enhancers and appetite stimulants please list any you know of for a mix

Sean,
    You have quite a few things you are wanting to add here and the problem is it may make the food messy or not palatable, and some really are not needed.. Alot of what you are asking here is info that people can't give, they have no real basis to answer you.

Start simple first... small batches. Make sure they like what you make before making a ton and make sure it binds well.

2-3 lbs fresh seafood fish (cod,salmon etc).. chopped
    2 lbs raw shrimp shell removed.. chopped
    1 lb scallops
    1 pound pellets or flakes
    1 cup cooked and strained spinach or collard greens
    2 Tablespoon paprika powder
    1-2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1-2 multi vitamens ground (any brand)

Mix by hand... grind to consistency of hamburger.

If that works and they like it upscale it. alot of the stuff you want to add is optional, The above is a basic recipe I have used for years for my seafood mixes. I swap out what ever foods are readily available but its generally along the same lines as what I posted here.

Its easy to add too much ingredients... I know this as I have done that before... talk about a mess!

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Sean

Default Re: Flavor enhancers and appetite stimulants please list any you know of for a mix

Thanks for the input Al. I'm gonna make a 5 pound test batch and see how it goes. As far as it being palatable well I'm just going to starve them for 3 or 4 days before I start feeding it to them and exclusively feed the mix for at least a few weeks before I offer any other foods. They'll get used to it I'm sure. I've used most of the things I listed in the last Seafood Mix I made and I had great success with it.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Sean,
    You have quite a few things you are wanting to add here and the problem is it may make the food messy or not palatable, and some really are not needed.. Alot of what you are asking here is info that people can't give, they have no real basis to answer you.

Start simple first... small batches. Make sure they like what you make before making a ton and make sure it binds well.

2-3 lbs fresh seafood fish (cod,salmon etc).. chopped
    2 lbs raw shrimp shell removed.. chopped
    1 lb scallops
    1 pound pellets or flakes
    1 cup cooked and strained spinach or collard greens
    2 Tablespoon paprika powder
    1-2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1-2 multi vitamens ground (any brand)

Mix by hand... grind to consistency of hamburger.

If that works and they like it upscale it. alot of the stuff you want to add is optional, The above is a basic recipe I have used for years for my seafood mixes. I swap out what ever foods are readily available but its generally along the same lines as what I posted here.

Its easy to add too much ingredients... I know this as I have done that before... talk about a mess!

al
    I wish I knew where I read it, but some authority preferred red lettuce to spinach.

What's the purpose of the paprika and garlic powder?

Otherwise looks pretty much like I'd do, including the hand grinding.

Hi Keith,
    I prefer collard greens to the spinach in both my fishfood and my own

Garlic is an attractant for the discus and fish in general.. It also gives the fish food an italian flavor to it that Discus like.Because they evolved in South America they can not resist mediterranean cuisine for its exotic appeal.

The paprika is for color. It contains a good amount of red orange pigments to bring out those colors in your discus . Its also possibly a flavor enhancer . It also makes a boring discus food look much more appealing to discus and able to double as a party cracker spread in a pinch

hth

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-06-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I've used fresh garlic in the past, but after reading the oils only added health benefits when they were actually fresh I quit putting it in my mix. I guess there's no reason I can't start throwing back in simply as an attractant however.

The one thing I do see missing from your recipe Al that I usually use is a couple over ripe bananas.

Think I'll continue to pass on the color enhancer.

Registered Member

Hey Al, you forgot the pasta and gravy along with a glass of vino, preferably a super Tuscan. LOL
    Jay

Bananas are fien Keith, but the shrimp is usually enough of a binder , thats plus the commercial flakes and pellets have binders. Besides that... Bananas never last long enough to get over ripe.

al
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I've used fresh garlic in the past, but after reading the oils only added health benefits when they were actually fresh I quit putting it in my mix. I guess there's no reason I can't start throwing back in simply as an attractant however.

The one thing I do see missing from your recipe Al that I usually use is a couple over ripe bananas.

Think I'll continue to pass on the color enhancer.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Hey Al, you forgot the pasta and gravy along with a glass of vino, preferably a super Tuscan. LOL
    Jay
    Jay, laugh but I did try feeding my discus some angel hair pasta once. They didn't really care for it.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Sean

I think I'll try the collard greens this time and report my results.
    Last edited by ssevasta; 07-06-2017 at 08:03 PM.