ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dad's 85 Gal Bare Bottom Tank

Default Re: Dad's 85 Gal Bare Bottom Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    That only happens after late night taco bell... and not for the strength reasons.. lololol
    I said shirt not shorts philipe.

So sorry to the OP for steering this thread down such a terrible path
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Mark the progress is promising nice work. I agree with upping the water changes too. But on another note I know this is a pretty new tank but have you thought of maybe making this a sumped system and adding a coast to coast overflow box on the back? This tank would look so sleek without all the equipment and returns inside. I really love the size and the rimless, but any how keep up on the WC's until you figure out a stable schedule and zero in on your tank parameters.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Seng

TANK UPDATE:

Hi SD! Have had my 8 assorted discus for a little more than 2 weeks now. Water parameters good, except maybe for the 8.2 pH level (breeder assured me he was growing them out at pH of 8). Average Tank Temp at 30C. Doing 50% WC every other day with aged water and also feeding just before the WC.

Just feeling a little concerned because only the red discus has been eating. Showed a video of them to the breeder and he also seemed concerned that they were still not eating (I'm only feeding them the pellets I got from the breeder, which is what he fed them with). Tried to introduce some FROZEN BLOODWORMS the other day, but was still just the red who ate (one of the yellows just nibbles). Any suggestions/comments?

85 Gal Bare Bottom Assorted Strain Discus Tank
    70 Gal Bare Bottom Goldfish Tank
    43 Gal Planted "Amano Tribute" Tank
    7 Gal Planted Iwagumi Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Quote Originally Posted by marktanseng View Post
    TANK UPDATE:

Hi SD! Have had my 8 assorted discus for a little more than 2 weeks now. Water parameters good, except maybe for the 8.2 pH level (breeder assured me he was growing them out at pH of 8). Average Tank Temp at 30C. Doing 50% WC every other day with aged water and also feeding just before the WC.

Just feeling a little concerned because only the red discus has been eating. Showed a video of them to the breeder and he also seemed concerned that they were still not eating (I'm only feeding them the pellets I got from the breeder, which is what he fed them with). Tried to introduce some FROZEN BLOODWORMS the other day, but was still just the red who ate (one of the yellows just nibbles). Any suggestions/comments?

Here's what has worked for me:
    1. Put them on a schedule. I feed 4 times a day first meal is at 7 AM +/- 30 mins followed by one every 5 hours.
    2. Take out any leftover food 30 mins after feeding. I used Eheim's vacuum when I feed pellets and granules that sinks. I hand feed FDMW's and take out any left overs right away.
    3. To begin with use one type of food consistently, on a set schedule. Once they start eating that introduce a new one. Mine loves FDBW, so I started with that, put them on a schedule for one week and then introduced one new meal every week. As of now, I feed that 3 different types, FDBW, Sera Discus granules and Tetrabits.
    4. It's okay to skip meals if they aren't showing interest every now and then. I do that and they are so hungry for the next meal that they knock it off in few mins. Sometimes they eat extra more after skipping a meal.
    5. When I approach to feed them, I snap my fingers... that's an indication that I am feeding them and they all come forward. I will post a video separately, it took a week for them to associate snapping to feeding and it's working for me. (Update: couldn't post the video from my phone, will try from my computer later)
    Last edited by abijitr; 08-16-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Seng

Quote Originally Posted by abijitr View Post
    1. Put them on a schedule. I feed 4 times a day first meal is at 7 AM +/- 30 mins followed by one every 5 hours.
    - Wow that's a lot of feeds! What size are your fish?

2. Take out any leftover food 30 mins after feeding. I used Eheim's vacuum when I feed pellets and granules that sinks. I hand feed FDMW's and take out any left overs right away.
    - When mine are feeding regularly, I'll start using a manual suction (fuel) pump for leftover cleanups

20170810_080338.jpg

3. To begin with use one type of food consistently, on a set schedule. Once they start eating that introduce a new one.
    - Sounds like good advice. Will start them off with FBW and the pellets I got from the breeder

4. It's okay to skip meals if they aren't showing interest every now and then. I do that and they are so hungry for the next meal that they knock it off in few mins. Sometimes they eat extra more after skipping a meal.
    - Well at the moment they are fed once every other day coinciding with my 50% WC (feed them just before the WC). Once they start showing interest in the food, will ramp up the feedings

5. When I approach to feed them, I snap my fingers... that's an indication that I am feeding them and they all come forward. I will post a video separately, it took a week for them to associate snapping to feeding and it's working for me.
    - Had a similar experience with my first foray into discus (shaking the tetrabits can before feeding) Thanks for reminding me! Will do a tapping routine for my feeding (no tapdancing though )
    Last edited by marktanseng; 08-20-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Hey Mark,
    Not sure if you have access to this but a lot of us use them to vac our tanks between water changes. I removed the bottom plastic gravel extension and added a tube for more suction. It works great on left over food and debris.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Gra...+quick+vac+pro
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abi

Quote Originally Posted by marktanseng View Post
    - Wow that's a lot of feeds! What size are your fish?

- When mine are feeding regularly, I'll start using a manual suction (fuel) pump for leftover cleanups

20170810_080338.jpg

- Sounds like good advice. Will start them off with FBW and the pellets I got from the breeder

- Well at the moment they are fed once every other day coinciding with my 50% WC (feed them just before the WC). Once they start showing interest in the food, will ramp up the feedings

- Had a similar experience with my first foray into discus (shaking the tetrabits can before feeding) Thanks for reminding me! Will do a tapping routine for my feeding (no tapdancing though )
    Mine are about 3"-4" and yes 4 feeds a day. I feed one cube of FDBW per meal and about similar amount of other food.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hey Mark,
    Not sure if you have access to this but a lot of us use them to vac our tanks between water changes. I removed the bottom plastic gravel extension and added a tube for more suction. It works great on left over food and debris.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Gra...+quick+vac+pro

Hi Jenene!

Was trying to go for the lowtech (i.e. non-electric) methods first hehe. Downside of the manual siphon would be the need for a bucket to catch the water. Will try that first then see how things go Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234