ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's Your Garden?

Default Re: How's Your Garden?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's been very hot, and even with regular water mine is showing some stress. Beans have been infested with some stupid little black bug that leaves bite marks in them and the tomatoes are a little ragged but still producing heavy. Salsa time in a few weeks!
    I am so jealous... My tomatoes are behind this year.. I wont really get any until the end of August. Peppers are doing well though..

2018-07-18 15.42.02.jpg

and my kale is still growing well despite the heat..

2018-07-18 15.41.01.jpg
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Flower gardens are loving the heat....

2018-07-18 15.44.48.jpg

2018-07-18 15.49.03.jpg

but Im watering too much. Its been dry here. Next week looks to be a wet one for us though.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Flower gardens are loving the heat....

2018-07-18 15.44.48.jpg

2018-07-18 15.49.03.jpg

but Im watering too much. Its been dry here. Next week looks to be a wet one for us though.

al
    I'm very jealous of you folks' beautiful gardens - wish I had the yard room to do that, since my wife loves to garden (and I don't mind it - lol)

Al, I noticed you grow some peppers - (hot ones ?) -what kind do you have this year in your garden.

I love Mexican food so I regularly make authentic red enchilada sauce with Guajillo, Ancho, &/or Pasilla or Chipotle peppers (and green sauce from Tomatillos). I buy them dried though. Great flavors in all the hot Mexican chiles.

Real Name
    Steve

I have about 30 pepper plants of several varieties growing this year. After doing this for a few years, and recognizing that I don't do much processing for storage, I mostly grow varieties that will get used as fresh or cooked as fresh. For us and the kids who live in town and look forward to dad's garden . Like Al, the availability of good, inexpensive dried peppers for homemade sauce, makes that the easier route for that.

Paul I grow a variety of peppers here in barrels. They do best for me that way here. My staple peppers are Jalapeno, cayenne, serrano, and habenero. These are my salsa peppers and any time a need a little heat in something.I jar a ton of salsa each year and we use it in various Dishes.I also dehydrate them for use in the winter.If I can get my hands on other hot varieties I will grow those as well as cubanelles, hungarian waxy, and Italian fryer... The farm stands here were lacking in variety this year so I just have my basics. I also grow egyptian onion and horse radish galore.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Jalapenos, Cayenne, Serranos, and Habaneros are plenty hot enough Al, and I occasionally use all of those too - especially fresh off the vine serranos & habeneros which are widely available locally, along with jalapenos.
    I should actually try growing some myself - I do have room in the yard for growing those.

I don't know if you have to, or want to, use some of the less hot peppers in your salsas, but I just learned a tip recently about 'de-fusing' the hotter chiles like habaneros when desired (which do have great flavor but which is somewhat hidden/overpowered by the heat) - this is done by cutting them open, removing the seeds & ribs, and soaking the flattened pepper skin(s) in a bit of alcohol (vodka is good - many Mexicans will use tequila, it's said) . Soak for 1 hour to reduce the heat by up to 50% - soak for 2 hours and most of the high heat is removed.
    You probably already knew this, but it was a revelation to me - I tried it & it works well.

The residual alcohol takes up all the heat - so you can really burn your mouth by drinking that!
    Last edited by discuspaul; 07-18-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I am so jealous... My tomatoes are behind this year.. I wont really get any until the end of August. Peppers are doing well though
    al
    I feel kind of lucky this year. Last year we had some wilt move through my area and I lost 14 of 16 plants very early. A guy up the street from me lost over 400 plants.

I have the traditional peppers as well, along with others. I'm not sure what they all are but I have 16 different varieties of sweets and hots. All go into my salsa. It's interesting to let them battle it out and see how the salsa turns out, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Jalapenos, Cayenne, Serranos, and Habaneros are plenty hot enough Al, and I occasionally use all of those too - especially fresh off the vine serranos & habeneros which are widely available locally, along with jalapenos.
    I should actually try growing some myself - I do have room in the yard for growing those.

I don't know if you have to, or want to, use some of the less hot peppers in your salsas, but I just learned a tip recently about 'de-fusing' the hotter chiles like habaneros when desired (which do have great flavor but which is somewhat hidden/overpowered by the heat) - this is done by cutting them open, removing the seeds & ribs, and soaking the flattened pepper skin(s) in a bit of alcohol (vodka is good - many Mexicans will use tequila, it's said) . Soak for 1 hour to reduce the heat by up to 50% - soak for 2 hours and most of the high heat is removed.
    You probably already knew this, but is was a revelation to me - I tried it & it works well.

The residual alcohol takes up all the heat - so you can really burn your mouth by drinking that!
    Paul thats a new one to me and one I will definitely give a try .Thanks for the tip!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Brian, Do you still make barbeque sauce?
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

Brian, Do you still make barbecue sauce?
    al
    Not recently. Computer crashed a few years ago and I didn't back up my recipe that had taken me years to figure out. I still know the basics though

A bit off topic - but since we're discussing hot chiles, for those of you who like Mexican food, and specifically enchiladas, here's a link to an authentic Mexican red enchilada sauce recipe that I've been making from scratch for over a year now - it's the real thing, it's easy to make, and it's delicious.
    So much better than any store bought canned enchilada sauce !!!

I make a new batch every month or so, which lasts me for 4 or 5 meals.

The only change I've made to the recipe is to use twice the amount of dried guajillo chiles to ancho chiles - e.g. 8 guajillos & 4 anchos - produces better color & flavor.

And you can omit the steps which call for 'toasting' the chiles a bit before re-hydrating them, and for 'frying' the finished red sauce once blended & sieved - not necessary as it does not enhance the flavor in my opinion.

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce/
    Last edited by discuspaul; 07-18-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Perfect Paul! I always look up 2 or 3 recipes when making my own. I'll definitely give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Perfect Paul! I always look up 2 or 3 recipes when making my own. I'll definitely give this a try.
    Please do Steve - it's the real thing - and it seems to get better every time you make it !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12