ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Registered Member

Default What would you do?

Hey all, so I am relatively new to discus and continue to learn (big surprise, huh?) about the importance of different aspects of water. I am attempting to grow out five discus from Hans, but am having trouble growing them. I bought them roughly 3 months ago, and all were 2 1/2". Now they are roughly 3", but haven't grown nearly as much as I had hoped during that time. I feed them a recipe of turkey burger I made based off of several recipes found on simply discus, so I am confident food is not my issue. I feed them roughly 4 to 5 times daily, and ensure I feed them enough that all have chubby bellies without leftover food.

My ph out of the tap remains stable when I aerate the water overnight, and my water parameters in my tank are as follows:
    7.6ph
    3 Kh
    0 gh
    55 tds
    I can't remember the nitrite and nitrate levels exactly but I know they are low and within a healthy range.

I do 50% water changes nightly, and have a separate tank to allow the water to aerate overnight. Would anyone suggest I add say, Epsom salt or calcium chloride to ideally increase gh, kh, and tds slightly? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: What would you do?

My water parameters are very similar to yours. I believe that having 0 gH has had no ill effect on my grow-outs. I believe that the fish get the minerals they need for growth from their food.

1/2' growth in a month isn't terrible but you should be seeing a bit more. What size tank are they in? How often do you feed? What foods do you use?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I would be okay with 1/2" in a month, unfortunately I've had them closer to 2.5 now; I just checked. I have the exact recipe on my computer but the ingredients I can remember include a pound of 99% lean turkey burger, 1/4 pound cod, 1/4 pound shrimp, part of a banana, spirulina, a multivitamin, and 2 cups of new life spectrum flakes. I know there were a couple more ingredients as well.

Registered Member

To answer the additional questions I have 5 discus in a 60 gallon and feed between 4 and 5 times daily.

Real Name
    Eric

Can you post pictures? According to the info you have provided you are doing everything right.

Real Name
    Phil

MY only suggestion would be water changes. Most people here who have success are doing changes at one hundo a day if not twice a day.

I may also just look into whipping up your own beef heart.

Not that what you are doing is wrong by any means. I don't mean or want to discourage you however based off what you are already doing that isn't proving results up to your standards assuming that's why you posted. Then I would change it up. What can you loose

Registered Member

I attempted to upload some pics but had some trouble on my phone. And I'm not opposed to changing to beefheart. I didnt think it would be too drastically different but clearly I need to change something!! Has anyone tried using calcium chloride and epsom salt to aid in juvenile growth? I've read mixed reviews regarding using and not using the two. I wouldn't be so concerned if my tds was a bit higher; at least ideally 80.

Real Name
    Phil

I would start w bigger water changes and a good switch before you start adding stuff to alter the water.

Registered Member

I'll give it a shot. Up to 60% wc's and find some beef heart to feed going forward. Any additional comments or opinions are welcome and appreciated!!

Real Name
    Phil

Can you do90%

Registered Member

Yeah I can give it a shot for awhile!

Real Name
    Phil

Good luck, please report back!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

Are you overfeeding? turkey burger 4-5 times a day seems a bit excessive for 3" fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dillct View Post
    Are you overfeeding? turkey burger 4-5 times a day seems a bit excessive for 3" fish.
    I am by no means an expert but I thought the same thing... Phil? Do you agree? I would be interested on seeing the Nitrate reading. That is a lot of messy food for one day. I was under the impression (and this is what I did) was that most people feed a variety of foods usually 3x a day with juvies and just do one messy frozen feeding a day with the water change immediately after. I am thinking a combination of foods that are cleaner like Al's fdbw, discus chow or some other kind of flake or pellet during the day. The multiple varieties of offerings will also fill in any nutritional gaps.

Just a thought. Now that mine are older I offer the frozen stuff only a few times a week. My water is so much easier to maintain. Chime in on your thoughts please.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Hi Justin, where in NC are you? I am in Greensboro. Your water parameters are dreamy, I wish I had those parameters. It is not your water softness causing the lack of growth. I also do not think it is your feeding regimen, although I think your discus would benefit more from a variety of foods not just your homemade turkey recipe. It may simply be that you bought discus that were already stunted and were doomed from the beginning. Could you tell us where you got the discus? Do you know how old they were when you bought them at 2.5"?

You might try feeding some FDBW (freeze dried blackworm) and some frozen bloodworm in there to give them some variety, may even try flake and pellet if you can get them to eat it.
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast