ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

Registered Member

Default Re: What would you do?

I would say the size of the turkey burger pieces I am feeding them are roughly slightly bigger than a pencil eraser. I try to feed them enough so that all food is consumed within the first few minutes and all fish have had a chance to eat. Would you suggest cutting it down to closer to 3 times daily?

Registered Member

Jacklyn I'm your neighbor, just over in Winston-Salem! I bought them at 2.5" from Hans so my guess is it's due to something I am doing. I've learned several tips where, if I had been doing those things from the get go, would have aided in much more rapid growth. Oh well, you live and learn!

I haven't fed them either of the worms you just mentioned since making the turkey burger recipe so I'll give it a shot! They eat like savages so luckily they eat the flakes I have (I probably feed them a meal of that every 2 to 3 days).

But yes, the more I am learning the more I realize I do seem to be quite fortunate with my water parameters! What are your parameters over in Greensboro?

Registered Member

The turkey burger food I use is frozen and I toss it in the microwave for a few seconds before feeding to them. That's an interesting thought though Jenene. I checked a few days ago and my nitrates were around 20. Ive upped the water changes to 90% daily now too. I am by no means a fish whisperer, but they seem happier now too. I'll try out changing up the foods and keep up the water changes.

Hi Justin, yes 20 is too high for discus. They will be much happier if you can aim for somewhere between 0 and 5. Glad you checked it. Once you dial in on the water quality they need you will see the growth you have been looking for.

Also by eliminating the stress from lesser water quality you will be able to avoid possible illness as well.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on their progress. You will do well by them and they will pay you back tenfold. There is just nothing like watching a group of beautiful healthy discus. Enjoy them!
    Last edited by Jenene; 07-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Justin NC View Post
    The turkey burger food I use is frozen and I toss it in the microwave for a few seconds before feeding to them. That's an interesting thought though Jenene. I checked a few days ago and my nitrates were around 20. Ive upped the water changes to 90% daily now too. I am by no means a fish whisperer, but they seem happier now too. I'll try out changing up the foods and keep up the water changes.
    Keep up with those big water changes and you may still see some good growth. I had a few of my group that were way behind. I had feared that I stunted them. I made a lot of changes to my tank and tank maintenance. Two of those fish that were the smallest are now 2 of the 3 largest.

I fed frozen bh, fdbw, flakes and Forrest aquabits.

I have not switched over the bh flake, fdbw and Als bio gold
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Sean

Justin try not to beat yourself up too much though cuz you're doing your best to learn as you go and honestly if you keep up the good routine daily water changes and feedings your fish will still reach their potential. The fact is whether a fish reaches 7+ inches in 18 months or 24 months it still reached its potential. Just keep up the good work and keep reading on this forum. Reading and researching on the forum has brought me and countless others success with keeping discus. Everyone that sees my fish is blown away by them and it makes me proud to hear it. There's such a sense of accomplishment when you grow a fish from 2.5 to a 7+ monster.

Registered Member

Yeah, I thought 20 was acceptable but once I did some digging realized the nitrates are likely my problem. I now vary the food I feed daily to flakes, freeze dried blood worms, and the turkey burger right before a water change. After changing to 90% wc's my nitrates haven't been above 5. So I'll take it!

But yeah, I'm hooked on those buggers. About to order a few more from Hans actually hehe. I'll keep everyone posted on results to ideally help people like myself who might be experiencing similar problems. Appreciate the great advice and support all! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin NC View Post
    Yeah, I thought 20 was acceptable but once I did some digging realized the nitrates are likely my problem. I now vary the food I feed daily to flakes, freeze dried blood worms, and the turkey burger right before a water change. After changing to 90% wc's my nitrates haven't been above 5. So I'll take it!

But yeah, I'm hooked on those buggers. About to order a few more from Hans actually hehe. I'll keep everyone posted on results to ideally help people like myself who might be experiencing similar problems. Appreciate the great advice and support all! Cheers!
    Good to hear. Nitrate of 5 is perfectly acceptable.

If you add new fish do not forget to QT. Regardless of where they are from you don't want to take a step forward just to take two steps back.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12