ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Am I the only one?

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Am I the only one?

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who notices some of the absolutely stupid things people in the news media say?

Just read this on MSN:

"OAKLAND, Calif. -- Firefighters contained a massive four-alarm fire that erupted early Friday morning at a large apartment complex under construction near Oakland's Lake Merritt, CBS San Francisco reports.

The fire broke out just before 5 a.m. and grew as the blaze, which was fueled by building construction materials, spread quickly.

Small explosions were heard as the flames moved through the structure. A large crane dangled over the blaze, threatening to possibly collapse. It was whirling out of control through the flames, elevating the concerns of firefighters.

Firefighters attacked the blaze using a "surround and drown" tactic. They took a defensive approach and poured hundreds of gallons of water on the fire...the project was under construction as a mixed used building and was nearing completion in early 2018. It stretches across three blocks and designed to host 225 apartments and 2,300 square feet of retail space. The building also included an underground parking garage."

So let me get this straight, the fire was roaring through a complex that covered three blocks and they only used "hundreds of gallons of water" on it?
    President - North American Discus Association

Default Re: Am I the only one?

LMAO... Hundreds of Gallons of water!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Keith...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ean-something/
    In an effort to make it easier for firefighters to know what a specific hydrant will supply, the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) recommends that fire departments and water districts follow a set standard of color-coding. Known as NFPA 291, it says fire hydrants using public water supply systems should be painted chrome yellow, and their tops and caps should indicate the available GPM. Below 500GPM should be red, 500-999 GPM should be orange, 1000-1499 GPM should be green, and 1500 GPM or more should be blue

Must have been using one of those eco friendly light light Red Ones...

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

lol, that is funny. Maybe they only opened the fire hydrant for half a minute according to Al's GPM breakdown

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Lol. I have more than that in my fish room.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I'm wondering if I'm the only one who notices some of the absolutely stupid things people in the news media say?

Just read this on MSN:

"OAKLAND, Calif. -- Firefighters contained a massive four-alarm fire that erupted early Friday morning at a large apartment complex under construction near Oakland's Lake Merritt, CBS San Francisco reports.

The fire broke out just before 5 a.m. and grew as the blaze, which was fueled by building construction materials, spread quickly.

Small explosions were heard as the flames moved through the structure. A large crane dangled over the blaze, threatening to possibly collapse. It was whirling out of control through the flames, elevating the concerns of firefighters.

Firefighters attacked the blaze using a "surround and drown" tactic. They took a defensive approach and poured hundreds of gallons of water on the fire...the project was under construction as a mixed used building and was nearing completion in early 2018. It stretches across three blocks and designed to host 225 apartments and 2,300 square feet of retail space. The building also included an underground parking garage."

So let me get this straight, the fire was roaring through a complex that covered three blocks and they only used "hundreds of gallons of water" on it?
    Lol. News anchors don't always seem the brightest.

Fire in Oakland is a pretty sensitive subject after the recent ghost ship disaster and all the deaths that came from that.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They also need to use editors before publishing their story. Pretty poorly written.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

I like when media reports that forest fires as being 5% under control. Wouldn't "out of control" forest fire be a more accurate description?

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.