ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Experimenter/DIY er....

Default Experimenter/DIY er....

Its no secret I am scientifically inclined. I love doing crazy or boring experiments on this or that. I text back and forth with a few of you on this . Any other wanna be mad scientists out there? If so whats your passion? One of mine is DC current, generators, batteries and solar power.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Experimenter/DIY er....

I teach digital electronics. And I love embedded systems...PIC Chips, Arduino Raspberry Pi...love 'em!
    If I can be done DIY I'll try it!

Real Name
    Matt

I wouldn't say I'm experimental but I love DIY. For me it's mostly if I'm doing it I've seen it. Perhaps if I had more time and materials I'd be more open to experimenting. I like LED tech. From soldering connections and diodes to using LED panels to make a custom video board stage set (more work related). Also enjoy computer modding, though I haven't fully dove into this yet. I like to see how much computer I can fit in the smallest box, painting parts, modding cases, wrapping cables, etc.

I've also tried building a few camera gimbals/stabilizers. Like most of my DIY, not quite as good as the commercially made stuff but it's gratifying when it works and looks fairly good.
    -Matt

I DIY because I HNC (have no choice). I have to admit that giving my little mind and little body a torturous work out is worth it when a project if finished. I feel good every time I look at something and think, "I did that all by my myself."
    Mama Bear

I DIY practically everything. Why pay someone outrageous rates for something I can do on my own. Whether it's something I am experienced at or something I just need to figure out I'd would rather do it myself if I can.

Suppose that's one big benefit game. The Google era. I can only imagine how tough diy was when you had to go track down and buy some sort of book or manual
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I DIY practically everything. Why pay someone outrageous rates for something I can do on my own. Whether it's something I am experienced at or something I just need to figure out I'd would rather do it myself if I can.

Suppose that's one big benefit game. The Google era. I can only imagine how tough diy was when you had to go track down and buy some sort of book or manual
    It always amazes when you open up something and recognize $0.50 worth of parts that they charged $100.00 for!

I feel guilty with youtube,,,it has saved me thousands in car repairs, and I never put anything on there..kind of like NPR! LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    It always amazes when you open up something and recognize $0.50 worth of parts that they charged $100.00 for!

I feel guilty with youtube,,,it has saved me thousands in car repairs, and I never put anything on there..kind of like NPR! LOL..
    Lol I know what you mean. In my business I use a wholesale supplier. It's insane what this stuff goes for retail

Labor rates are insane also.

I do all my own electrical, plumbing etc. Don't like paying through the teeth for this stuff but hey people probably sat the same thing about me and my rates lmao

Actually I do get people that aren't too happy when they hear it's going to coat them $300 or $400 bucks for something that is going to take me an hour but they are paying for expertise and knowledge. Thankfully my niche cannot be diy'd.

There are things I will leave to the professionals but most I will tackle on my own.
    Last edited by Ryan925; 08-04-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

I married the ultimate DIY. I give him what I need to accomplish and then sit back and watch. It is truly amazing I find. The only thing I ever had to learn to do myself was car and outboard mechanics and that was due to lack of funds in my younger years though I became expert at fixing fish tank equipment also. Mind you as soon as fuel injection and computers became a part of cars, I had to start paying. I still do my outboard on the boat though.