AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eshopps 125 Wet/dry Filter Question

Registered Member

Default Eshopps 125 Wet/dry Filter Question

I have 90 gal tank that has a Eshopps 125 wet dry filter running on it with the blue pad on top of the trickle plate and 1" 10PPI Poret Foam on top of the Bio Balls and 2" 20ppi on the bottom. There is 4" 10PPI where the water flows out to the pump. I plan on adding 10 adult Discus. Does adding this foam help? How often would I need to clean the foam with 10 adult Discus? Does it clog up fast? Is there a better set up I can use with this filter? I had this Poret Foam laying around to use in 40gal breeder sump I was going make but decided to keep the 40gal breeder for fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Eshopps 125 Wet/dry Filter Question

Quote Originally Posted by smallchange View Post
    I have 90 gal tank that has a Eshopps 125 wet dry filter running on it with the blue pad on top of the trickle plate and 1" 10PPI Poret Foam on top of the Bio Balls and 2" 20ppi on the bottom. There is 4" 10PPI where the water flows out to the pump. I plan on adding 10 adult Discus. Does adding this foam help? How often would I need to clean the foam with 10 adult Discus? Does it clog up fast? Is there a better set up I can use with this filter? I had this Poret Foam laying around to use in 40gal breeder sump I was going make but decided to keep the 40gal breeder for fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Having the blue pad on top of the poret will help keep it cleaner. But with 10 fish that pad will get dirty pretty quick.
    My poret foam starts to show dirt after about a month-month-and-half of use. At that point I tear down my sump and rinse out all the foam being careful to not destroy too much of the BB.
    A lot of people say that foam can go a VERY long time with no rinsing but I don't like to do that.

Your setup sounds pretty solid but what I would do is get some filter sock material squares(felt). Cut them to fit where you have the blue pad. Have a couple on hand to swap out.
    When they are all dirty throw them in the wash machine with no soap and give them a wash. They will last a long time.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Having the blue pad on top of the poret will help keep it cleaner. But with 10 fish that pad will get dirty pretty quick.
    My poret foam starts to show dirt after about a month-month-and-half of use. At that point I tear down my sump and rinse out all the foam being careful to not destroy too much of the BB.
    A lot of people say that foam can go a VERY long time with no rinsing but I don't like to do that.

Your setup sounds pretty solid but what I would do is get some filter sock material squares(felt). Cut them to fit where you have the blue pad. Have a couple on hand to swap out.
    When they are all dirty throw them in the wash machine with no soap and give them a wash. They will last a long time.
    Thanks Neptune, I like your idea of swapping out filter sock material instead of buying blue pads all the time.

I don't have any experience with this brand but this looks like the stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Micro...B0TMC8HRSZCW8D