ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't sell your tanks!

Default Don't sell your tanks!

Seriously don't sell your tanks when you cut back. Hold on to them in storage if you can. You will most likely fill them up again! Sure you can always buy a new one but odds are its going to cost more than you made on the one you sold...and sometimes its hard to even find the tank size you need or want. Many local fish stores and chains will rake you over the coals price wise.

I had a ton of tanks in storage after I shut down the fishroom a few years ago. I held them a year or two and convinced myself I would not need them.... so I sold them on the cheap. Fastforward a year and here I am scrounging through craigslist ads, buying used overpriced tanks,and hoping they dont leak. When I think.of all the tanks I had and how much time I have spent looking to replace them on the cheap....I could kick myself.

Odds are if you had alot of tanks at one point...you will again.

I really wish I had kept the 125's I sold...Those and the the 36 "long tanks I had.. I could sure use them now.

Oh well... I did pick up 2 each 55 gals and metal stand on Crsigslist this weekend for $80. VeryFair price and not leaking yet.. but I sold at least 6 of them when I closed the fishroom and they were like new.

So...heed my advice. A tank doesn't go bad in storage.. I had some in the yard for 3 years that I just put back into service this past year.

The one thing I am glad of was I did keep.most of my Aquaclear 110 filters, heaters, and airpumps, as well as my hydro sponges....but I gave away soooooo much stuff!

Once a fish junkie,always a fish junkie
    ...remember that!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

I've never gotten totally out of fish but I once had to sell almost all of my fish due to an emergency move back to Mississippi. It never occurred to me to sell my tanks and equipment.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Julian

Good Point
    I can relate to that in a sense, that I used to PCS every three to five years, I remember given away and sell on the cheap, because the time constrain. Luckily I am not longer have to worry about that any more, but I will keep your advise. as I'm downsizing right now.
    Julian
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Registered Member

my father is trying to get me to sell everything NO WAY.

Real Name
    Ryan

I agree whole heartedly, Al.
    I keep it all.

Theres more in the basement storage room & under the stairs. Lol.... Nope... I dont have a fish addiction problem at all.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Registered Member

Agreed. I sold a 200G and a 125G, I'm regretting doing that now. Once a hobbyist, always a hobbyist.

Real Name
    Matt

I have a lot of crap sitting around. I did end up selling my smaller tanks when I went to 2 running tanks though. They are just so space hungry. They are common smaller sizes that I could get again or find used with no real issue. The bigger tanks I'd hesitate to sell. I will never let go of my 100gal rimless custom though, I'd pay storage for that if I ever broke it down.
    -Matt

Registered Member

And I thought I was bad.
    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    I agree whole heartedly, Al.
    I keep it all.

Theres more in the basement storage room & under the stairs. Lol.... Nope... I dont have a fish addiction problem at all.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I always sell my equipment because because I never have storage to keep it all. I also like the buying process and spec'ing out a tank for a specific purpose. Keep in mind, I typically only have 1 tank running and it is always my main tank.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

That's so glad to see you back on fish Are you planning to breed again? Are they discus or something else? Any strains that caught your attention? Will keep following....

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I always sell my equipment because because I never have storage to keep it all. I also like the buying process and spec'ing out a tank for a specific purpose. Keep in mind, I typically only have 1 tank running and it is always my main tank.
    That's great if you can afford it...
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I sold all but one of my tanks and the gear that went with them and have been super happy with the minimal set up... but the one thing I regret was giving away my cute little cube 30gal to a friend. It was a perfect QT and matched my 180gal tank and stand combo. Kicking myself now... hindsight is 20/20

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

I've got about 7 or so stored along with the many filters but, unfortunately, they aren't for my personal use. Instead once a year I get to set them up for our "River Day" displays where we introduce the local youth to the Hudson River, fishing, and of course what swims there. My husband is the only thing that keeps me from using those tanks for other purposes (like more discus). Of course having 2 tanks at home, one tank at each of the boat clubs for "river" fish, and helping out the 2 elementary school science teachers at work, I probably don't need another tank anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    I've got about 7 or so stored along with the many filters but, unfortunately, they aren't for my personal use. Instead once a year I get to set them up for our "River Day" displays where we introduce the local youth to the Hudson River, fishing, and of course what swims there. My husband is the only thing that keeps me from using those tanks for other purposes (like more discus). Of course having 2 tanks at home, one tank at each of the boat clubs for "river" fish, and helping out the 2 elementary school science teachers at work, I probably don't need another tank anyway.
    I think thats really very cool! I love science outreach programs!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

The next school project will be comparing growth rates of invasive species in the Bronx River. I just need to confirm if Hygrophilia has appeared there yet. Eurasian Millfoil is everywhere along with Water Chestnut but, as I've only a 29 gallon to work with I think I'll keep it with the 2 smaller species. I'm also pretty sure Millfoil will win as it seems to root from pieces so every time it's disturbed, you end up with more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast