ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't sell your tanks!

Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    The next school project will be comparing growth rates of invasive species in the Bronx River. I just need to confirm if Hygrophilia has appeared there yet. Eurasian Millfoil is everywhere along with Water Chestnut but, as I've only a 29 gallon to work with I think I'll keep it with the 2 smaller species. I'm also pretty sure Millfoil will win as it seems to root from pieces so every time it's disturbed, you end up with more.
    for aquatic plants... cheap 20 gal clear plastic Bins at Home depot should work.. They bow out in the middle if wrapped with a strip of Duck tape they work well. I used some here in the past.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    for aquatic plants... cheap 20 gal clear plastic Bins at Home depot should work.. They bow out in the middle if wrapped with a strip of Duck tape they work well. I used some here in the past.

al
    Got the chance to look at those as an option then checked her room. She has similar tubs but they're white with a more rigid design. I think as long as she puts the tubs in the window, she can cut up the plants and compare growth rates and we'll keep the 29 as a control.

Got the chance to look at those as an option then checked her room. She has similar tubs but they're white with a more rigid design. I think as long as she puts the tubs in the window, she can cut up the plants and compare growth rates and we'll keep the 29 as a control.
    If you have the chance and can post pics of it... be a cool thread to follow what they are doing and maybe give others ideas for science out reach.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

The next school project will be comparing growth rates of invasive species in the Bronx River. I just need to confirm if Hygrophilia has appeared there yet. Eurasian Millfoil is everywhere along with Water Chestnut but, as I've only a 29 gallon to work with I think I'll keep it with the 2 smaller species. I'm also pretty sure Millfoil will win as it seems to root from pieces so every time it's disturbed, you end up with more.
    That would be really interesting. Here in my neck of the woods we have a plague of water hyacinth in the Sacramento/ San Joaquin river delta
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

i sold a beautiful 110 high with custom stand and hood. you don't get even 50 cent on the dollar....another reason not to sell.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I have one caveat to add to Al's advice. That is to perfectly clean each and every piece before storing it away.

If you clean it, you're more likely to:
    1. Optimize storage (as opposed to... ummmm.. I can't store anything inside that tank.. It's so dirty... but I'll clean it up later)
    2. Reuse (as opposed to... ummmm.. It's going to take allot of work to use that again... It's so dirty... but I'll clean it up later)

All of that said, I am glad that I sold everything when I did. I had become unbalanced in the amount of things I was trying to care for and was no longer enjoying it. I sold everything leading up to my 10 year wedding anniversary and purchased my wife 10 gifts (some big - Train ride to NYC, Broadway Play, Hotel on Central Park, IPod, Tour of the MET, some small - Hot dog at Yankee Stadium, Cashews on the street, etc...). I made her happy 11 times (1st time, closing the Skanky Basement o' Fish, 10 more times sharing the presents). I got dimes on the dollar, but it represented about 13 years of accumulation, so it was still a very large amount of money. Two years after that, we started our Mexican adventure anyway! Now, some 12 years later, (that's 22 years of marriage for those quick with the math), allot of the equipment would now be outdated (old tech UV filter, old tech T-40 lighting). However, AL is right! My 4 75s (which I never even put into use to replace the homemade 80s) would still be good. (Only, I wouldn't have wanted to move them from NY to Mexico.)

I will restart again... but it will be small.. 4 20L tanks on a central system. (Obviously, no discus, but dwarf cichlids, shrimps, cories, etc...). The stuff I have is perfectly clean and can be setup in a moment's notice (still have to buy the 4th 20 gal long tank).
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 08-03-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Thumbs up Re: Don't sell your tanks!

Once a fish junkie,always a fish junkie
    ...remember that!
    Al
    so true!

Real Name
    Jim

I'm at the point where I'd really like to downsize from my 180gal to a 125 - the 180 is so big it's a royal P.I.T.A. cleaning, but, my wife says if I get the new tank I have to give or throw away the 180 and the stand - just can't do it Thinking it would come in handy sometime in the future, but I really have no good place to store it. So now, I'm setting the 180 back up so I can get the poor fish out of the 90 they're in now. How about talking to the wife for me Brew .. maybe she'll listen to you lol
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

I had about 7 tanks stored with the biggest being a 185gal tank. My son had to move back in and we were having a drought so I shut tanks down, sold or gave away my discus and stored tanks. My wife talked me into giving her brother my tanks and equipment, so I let him pick them up, he took four tanks and we agreed he would pick up the rest later, he only had so much room. Well, after he left I was just kinda looking at what was left and decided to setup the 90gal tall tank with just some tetras. Broke out the equipment I had left and setup tank in 24hours, next day I threw some tetras in. Waited another 24 hours and all looked good so I put more tetras in, within a week o had 125 fish, all tetras save 8 corys and 1 shrimp. Next I setup a 50gal pretty much the same way. I never even serviced tanks or pumps, busted filled and go lol. No fish died save a jumper who I found on floor. The fever got me and I started to crave the discus. So I purchased a 450gal custom aquarium and am in the process of creating a discus world...so yeah don't sell your tanks and equipment once it gets in your blood, your done and you'll always swim back.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Also I'm new to the Site, been around discus for awhile, use to read site just never joined. I'm never gonna be without discus again so I thought I'd join the party. Love all the info and ideas from the good folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by geo57 View Post
    Also I'm new to the Site, been around discus for awhile, use to read site just never joined. I'm never gonna be without discus again so I thought I'd join the party. Love all the info and ideas from the good folks here.
    Welcome George! Better late to the party than staying at home. I am sure you have noticed this is a great place to learn, be entertained, try a new project on for size, or make some new friends.

Do us all a favor and start a journal here on that 450... I am sure many are out there already drooling... We like pictures..lots of pictures...
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    claire loney

Al,

My wife wants to talk to you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

Hi and thanks Jenene, you'll find that I come and go and respond like days later and yes I'll post pics, would post some now but I'm at work, probably need to do it off my phone as soon as I get the site there. The tank is just sitting with sand and a few pieces of driftwood and full of water that's stabilizing, I'm getting ready to transport my first batch of tetras that i've had for a few months making sure they're healthy and able to break in a new tank. It will be a black water tank and I'm using Fluval Peat moss and i use National geographic white sand, about 400 lbs in tank now and malaysian driftwood. I was gonna attempt to download some pics but work calls dang it. talk later.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    george melendez

I'm gonna have to learn how to post pics da,lol, 🙁embarrassing.

Real Name
    Brian

So...heed my advice. A tank doesn't go bad in storage.. I had some in the yard for 3 years that I just put back into service this past year.
    True!!! I left the hobby around 2007. I tried to sell my tanks but had no takers. Now that I m back, I already have all I need except for the fish!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast