discustoday.info     Australian Blackworms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21

Thread: Don't sell your tanks!

  1. #16
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    21,364
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    216 (100%)

    Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    The next school project will be comparing growth rates of invasive species in the Bronx River. I just need to confirm if Hygrophilia has appeared there yet. Eurasian Millfoil is everywhere along with Water Chestnut but, as I've only a 29 gallon to work with I think I'll keep it with the 2 smaller species. I'm also pretty sure Millfoil will win as it seems to root from pieces so every time it's disturbed, you end up with more.
    for aquatic plants... cheap 20 gal clear plastic Bins at Home depot should work.. They bow out in the middle if wrapped with a strip of Duck tape they work well. I used some here in the past.

    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

    Visit my personal Discus Website, DiscusToday.info

  2. #17
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Southern NY
    Posts
    66
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

    Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    for aquatic plants... cheap 20 gal clear plastic Bins at Home depot should work.. They bow out in the middle if wrapped with a strip of Duck tape they work well. I used some here in the past.

    al
    Got the chance to look at those as an option then checked her room. She has similar tubs but they're white with a more rigid design. I think as long as she puts the tubs in the window, she can cut up the plants and compare growth rates and we'll keep the 29 as a control.

  3. #18
    Administrator brewmaster15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Northford,CT,USA
    Posts
    21,364
    Blog Entries
    5
    iTrader
    216 (100%)

    Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    Got the chance to look at those as an option then checked her room. She has similar tubs but they're white with a more rigid design. I think as long as she puts the tubs in the window, she can cut up the plants and compare growth rates and we'll keep the 29 as a control.
    If you have the chance and can post pics of it... be a cool thread to follow what they are doing and maybe give others ideas for science out reach.

    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!


    >>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!


    Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

    Visit my personal Discus Website, DiscusToday.info

  4. #19
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,430
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bethzb View Post
    The next school project will be comparing growth rates of invasive species in the Bronx River. I just need to confirm if Hygrophilia has appeared there yet. Eurasian Millfoil is everywhere along with Water Chestnut but, as I've only a 29 gallon to work with I think I'll keep it with the 2 smaller species. I'm also pretty sure Millfoil will win as it seems to root from pieces so every time it's disturbed, you end up with more.
    That would be really interesting. Here in my neck of the woods we have a plague of water hyacinth in the Sacramento/ San Joaquin river delta
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  5. #20
    Silver Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,653
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

    i sold a beautiful 110 high with custom stand and hood. you don't get even 50 cent on the dollar....another reason not to sell.

  6. #21
    Gold Member ODwyerPW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Alamos, Sonora, Mexico
    Posts
    767
    iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Peter

    Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

    I have one caveat to add to Al's advice. That is to perfectly clean each and every piece before storing it away.

    If you clean it, you're more likely to:
    1. Optimize storage (as opposed to... ummmm.. I can't store anything inside that tank.. It's so dirty... but I'll clean it up later)
    2. Reuse (as opposed to... ummmm.. It's going to take allot of work to use that again... It's so dirty... but I'll clean it up later)

    All of that said, I am glad that I sold everything when I did. I had become unbalanced in the amount of things I was trying to care for and was no longer enjoying it. I sold everything leading up to my 10 year wedding anniversary and purchased my wife 10 gifts (some big - Train ride to NYC, Broadway Play, Hotel on Central Park, IPod, Tour of the MET, some small - Hot dog at Yankee Stadium, Cashews on the street, etc...). I made her happy 11 times (1st time, closing the Skanky Basement o' Fish, 10 more times sharing the presents). I got dimes on the dollar, but it represented about 13 years of accumulation, so it was still a very large amount of money. Two years after that, we started our Mexican adventure anyway! Now, some 12 years later, (that's 22 years of marriage for those quick with the math), allot of the equipment would now be outdated (old tech UV filter, old tech T-40 lighting). However, AL is right! My 4 75s (which I never even put into use to replace the homemade 80s) would still be good. (Only, I wouldn't have wanted to move them from NY to Mexico.)

    I will restart again... but it will be small.. 4 20L tanks on a central system. (Obviously, no discus, but dwarf cichlids, shrimps, cories, etc...). The stuff I have is perfectly clean and can be setup in a moment's notice (still have to buy the 4th 20 gal long tank).
    Last edited by ODwyerPW; 08-03-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    Peter
    Corazón y Cuerpo en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico de nuevo

    learning never stops

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress             AquaticSuppliers.com