ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't sell your tanks!

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Don't sell your tanks!

I left the hobby in 2004.
    The other day I just put one of my 20 gallon longs back in service. I had it stored in the bodega of my home in Arizona (didn't live there long, I now rent it out) and brought it down to my home here in Sonora, Mexico. Started it all up in 5 minutes (everything was stored clean) using purified water from a garrafon (yeah... we really don't drink the tap water here in Mexico).

Went up into the Sierra foothills and trapped 10 minnows from a stream feeding the Mayo River around San Bernardo that was absolutely teaming with fish, which I think are the Gila Topminnow (Poeciliopsis Occidentalis, an at risk / endangered species in the United States). They aren't showing much color in the plain tank, but they are eating flake food... They might be Mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis), as these are known to displace entire populations of the Topminnow. Doing good. Eating well. Haven't lost a single one since Saturday. I'll post a photo, but there's not much to look at it as they are rather plain.

This same tributary has a nice cichlid fish that is either a Herichthys Cyanoguttatus (Texas Green) or a Cichlasoma Beani (Sinaloan Cichlid). Or it could be something completely different.. LOL. Have to catch a few and have a closer look. Regardless, they are too big and aggressive for a 20L tank.... and they would make quick work of the little silver mollie type fish (topminnow/mosquitofish) that I have.

Anyway, who knows how long before I head north of the border to get my other 3 out of storage and start something here in Mexico again. Only possible because I stored my tanks carefully. Getting that Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi bug again.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 05-02-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

I don't even want to think about how much I have sold over the years! So true should always keep your stuff because sooner or later you will be back.
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    I don't even want to think about how much I have sold over the years! So true should always keep your stuff because sooner or later you will be back.
    Only if you can properly clean it and store it. If you can't, then it's a burden and you should get it out of your life. Hoarding = Bad. LOL.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gerald C Hammond

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    I agree whole heartedly, Al.
    I keep it all.
    texttospeech.onl
    mortgagecalculator.tech

Theres more in the basement storage room & under the stairs. Lol.... Nope... I dont have a fish addiction problem at all.
    Pretty big storage man!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kim Walker

Unfortunitly If I do not sell them and upgrade to bigger I find a way of squeezing them all in ,BUT I am slowly running out of human space to live LMAO!

Aquaticsuppliers is the best thanks Al for keeping me stocked up on freeze dried black worms its much appreciated Kim Walker in Mich.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123