AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Vacation and Temp

Default Vacation and Temp

*ducking down because I know the topic of vacation in regards to eating and WC's has been beaten to death*

BUT!

I cant find much on the temp, I am beginning the 36 hour fast and WC's prepping for a 5 day vacation and I keep my temp at 30C, I have juvis (or maybe they are called sub adults now...they are 4-4.5") and will be fasting and doing a total of 3 60% WC's during the fast period to prep the water.

However, my other concern is aggression, I dont want to come back to them beating each other up out of frustration, they have been spoiled rotten their whole lives!

Any thoughts or pro/cons of dropping the temp? Only con's I can think of is maybe increased risk of disease (if to low) or maybe just the shock of the drop and rise back up again in 5 days time??

Thanks!

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Vacation and Temp

Leave the tank clean and leave the fish alone. I've gone for 2 weeks multiple times and always return to find fish that are very happy to see me. In general, hobbyists overestimate the value of their activity on fish health.

Enjoy your vacation, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Thanks Willie, love your sig LOL

I am sure they are going to be jumping for joy (probably literally) to see me when I return, spoiled brats get a lot of food - in fact I made a bit of a mistake about a week ago and learned that infact Discus can puke... greedy little guy.

Fasted them for ~36 hours, after 24 there was barley any poop... 5 days later I came back to some very happy to see me discus, they all looked great, I was surprised I didnt notice any different in their belly - my Africans when the females have babies in their mouths get pretty dang skinny after a week or so!

Tank was very clean when I got back as well, happy about that! Nitrate was ~3ppm when I left and ~20ppm when I got back. Zero food.