AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angelfish Breeding - How many tries until they get it right?

Default Re: Angelfish Breeding - How many tries until they get it right?

There's a myth that angels (and rams, and a few others) won't parent raise but usually it's a waiting game. I had a koi pair go a year and 13 or so spawns before they quit eating eggs and wrigglers, but one day they just turned into decent parents. If you're not in the business to sell fry and you just want a nice pair for the fun of raising them, I'd say let them have a few tries and see if they improve.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    There's a myth that angels (and rams, and a few others) won't parent raise but usually it's a waiting game. I had a koi pair go a year and 13 or so spawns before they quit eating eggs and wrigglers, but one day they just turned into decent parents. If you're not in the business to sell fry and you just want a nice pair for the fun of raising them, I'd say let them have a few tries and see if they improve.
    Yep, I think I lost the recent batch, all the eggs just fell on the floor and stuck together, even the bad ones, causing the good ones to suffocate, I would assume. this was batch #4.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Yep, I think I lost the recent batch, all the eggs just fell on the floor and stuck together, even the bad ones, causing the good ones to suffocate, I would assume. this was batch #4.
    Are you sure you have a male in the mix Rob?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Are you sure you have a male in the mix Rob?
    Pat
    Yep, very confident, first or second batch I had wigglers, but were eaten, and with this current batch I saw a couple of the darker eggs with 2 black dots (eyes) in them, I'll try to get pictures later.

Just not sure why they don't stick onto the surface, maybe water is too acidic.

Real Name
    Mike

Hmm, I always remove the bad eggs as soon as I see them so they don't affect the good ones. I use a thin piece of wire to pick the white stuff/eggs away daily and then remove it. Maybe it is the Methyl Blue? I use Hyd Peroxide in the breeder box and get pretty good results. Need good water flow and additional air-stone.
    Last edited by White Worm; 07-18-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Registered Member

I got Wigglers!! Tried to take pictures, but pictures didn't come out too good. Cooking brine shrimp now.

Real Name
    Mike

You don't want to feed them until 12 hours after the last one goes free-swimming. Brine shrimp goes bad within a few days and it takes about 24-30 hours for it to hatch for feeding. They will free swim in about 5-6 days once you have wigglers.

...Brine shrimp should hatched, and used the same day (unless frozen)...it's worthless after that....after you harvest to feed, strain off the rest to a small container with tank water...it's good for about 8hrs...

...brine shrimp hatch out between 14-20hrs, depending on keeping the water at 78/80degs...
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

I've had luck keeping bbs alive in brine solution in the fridge for a couple days. After siphoning into a coffee filter, rinse them out into a shoe box of clean brine. It slows their movement down a lot, but they still twitch. I freeze what is left after 48 hours, but they could probably last longer.

the bbs may last, but as they grow they lose their nutrient value........
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Real Name
    Mike

I feed 2 days off a batch of bbs. 2-3 feedings a day. You can use it early but good hatch rate is upwards of 24 hours. Good chemical mix, temp 80 and plenty of air. Goes bad pretty quick. I have alot of angels eating it so a large syringe is what I use. I dont bother to rinse it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12