AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Streaming Movies....

Default Speaking of Streaming Movies....

We finally caved this year and got an Amazon Prime account ,mostly for the shipping discounts and perks. With it came Amazon Prime Movies. I have to say, Not really impressed. Most of what they offer you free under Prime is outdated or just bad movies. I get that they won't offer you free current releases but what I really can't stand is the large numbers of B and C grade videos Amazon offers. It takes for ever to find a decent video to watch because you need to sort through a ton of just really bad movies. Its fine to offer them, but they put them in the main gallery!

Anyone else? I have Hulu as well, which I really like.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Speaking of Streaming Movies....

I use KODI. Everything new and free. Just HDMI laptop to TV and walla!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    We finally caved this year and got an Amazon Prime account ,mostly for the shipping discounts and perks. With it came Amazon Prime Movies. I have to say, Not really impressed. Most of what they offer you free under Prime is outdated or just bad movies. I get that they won't offer you free current releases but what I really can't stand is the large numbers of B and C grade videos Amazon offers. It takes for ever to find a decent video to watch because you need to sort through a ton of just really bad movies. Its fine to offer them, but they put them in the main gallery!

Anyone else? I have Hulu as well, which I really like.

al
    Get yourself an android box and use kodi as white worm suggested. I watch 1080p movies all the time. Everything is free. Very new movies not even out on blu ray yet plus all the old movies you could ever watch. I actually got our friend Jenene on one as well.

I had a very poor box to start and had many buffering issues. Since then I did a lot of research. The element box is one of the highest rated. I have the ti5 but they have already released a ti8

Never buffering. They release updates often and never any issues. I stream movies a lot! We do movie night with our son on the weekends plus watch movies every chance we get. $0 24/7
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Get yourself an android box and use kodi as white worm suggested. I watch 1080p movies all the time. Everything is free. Very new movies not even out on blu ray yet plus all the old movies you could ever watch. I actually got our friend Jenene on one as well.

I had a very poor box to start and had many buffering issues. Since then I did a lot of research. The element box is one of the highest rated. I have the ti5 but they have already released a ti8

Never buffering. They release updates often and never any issues. I stream movies a lot! We do movie night with our son on the weekends plus watch movies every chance we get. $0 24/7
    I need to dig ours out Ryan. It seems my husband has lost interest in the man cave and the new giant tv down there. I should bring it up and try it out. It's a shame it's just sitting down there!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Eric

Interesting guidance on KODI, sounds like i have something new to research

I have prime for the shipping, anything I can't buy in my 'hood I pick up on Amazon

I like a few of Prime's original series for binge watching. I don't know about you guys, but since the advent of cinema quality episodic TV, I have a hard time getting into movies. You invest a couple hours learning about some new characters and then its over. That random thought being said, check out "Man in the High Castle", "Goliath", and "Alpha House". Its also nice to have another service in addition to Netflix to binge / catch up on good cable series... I recently used it to catch up on "TURN" and "Vikings" which I don't think are available on other streaming services.

Just look at it as an added perk to a great deal on shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Interesting guidance on KODI, sounds like i have something new to research

I have prime for the shipping, anything I can't buy in my 'hood I pick up on Amazon

I like a few of Prime's original series for binge watching. I don't know about you guys, but since the advent of cinema quality episodic TV, I have a hard time getting into movies. You invest a couple hours learning about some new characters and then its over. That random thought being said, check out "Man in the High Castle", "Goliath", and "Alpha House". Its also nice to have another service in addition to Netflix to binge / catch up on good cable series... I recently used it to catch up on "TURN" and "Vikings" which I don't think are available on other streaming services.

Just look at it as an added perk to a great deal on shipping
    Agreed.

A streaming box such as the element does tv shows and sports as well as movies. I typically use mine strictly for movies and use my firestick and Netflix for tv shows. I am really loving the xfinity and Netflix marriage.

Kodi can be put on any device you want. I actually "hacked" my firestick and unsealed kodi on that also.

The reason I prefer something like the element box is because they constantly roll out updates which will trash any dead add ons and replace with whatever is the latest and greatest. If you install kodi yourself you have periodically research the add ons, find what's needs, what's old then find source codes for download, etc, etc

It's well worth it just to buy the box preloaded. Saves you lots of time.

It seems complicated at first but it's really simple. My 5 year old has no problem using it to watch movies
    https://www.ezstreambox.com/products...android-tv-box

Real Name
    Eric

Ryan, quick question. I have a Samsung "smart tv" with built in wifi. If I go to the "entertainment hub" I can access apps for all the streaming services, I watch Netflix this way all the time. Is this functionality the same thing the Ti8 box provides to non-smart TV's? Are there any advantages of this box over a smart TV? Do you still have to pay for the streaming services?

Thanks in advance for the education!

Real Name
    Steve

I'll probably get laughed at for being way behind, but we use Netfix and I complain all time time about their lousy selection. We probably watch more of BBC's Midsommer Murders than anything else. We do have Prime, too, but not much better. We're not much into the series. Long running stories that never end. We've gotten through the first seasons on a few, but always end up giving up.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Mike

Download KODI on your laptop for free. You can then use HDMI from laptop to TV. Same as having a box. I haven't had any buffering problems but not all movies are 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Download KODI on your laptop for free. You can then use HDMI from laptop to TV. Same as having a box. I haven't had any buffering problems but not all movies are 1080p.
    Mike,
    I have tried Kodi and it was a bit difficult to navigate... from withing Kodi, where do you get the movies?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Ryan, quick question. I have a Samsung "smart tv" with built in wifi. If I go to the "entertainment hub" I can access apps for all the streaming services, I watch Netflix this way all the time. Is this functionality the same thing the Ti8 box provides to non-smart TV's? Are there any advantages of this box over a smart TV? Do you still have to pay for the streaming services?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Mike,
    I have tried Kodi and it was a bit difficult to navigate... from withing Kodi, where do you get the movies?

al
    Man I just wrote a super long message explaining it and it says it's too short??

[QUOTE=Clawhammer;1267882]Ryan, quick question. I have a Samsung "smart tv" with built in wifi. If I go to the "entertainment hub" I can access apps for all the streaming services, I watch Netflix this way all the time. Is this functionality the same thing the Ti8 box provides to non-smart TV's? Are there any advantages of this box over a smart TV? Do you still have to pay for the streaming services?

Using kodi is 100% free. Essentially it would be like you searching on the internet for someone streaming a certain movie and watching it. What the "add-ons" do is take the work out for you it searches all the potential sources and list them by quality.

From within kodi you need "add ons" the add ons list the movies in sort of a Netflix format. When you select a movie it automatically searches all the potential sources and lists them by quality. This is why I prefer a preloaded box. It takes all the work out. You just run an update every so often and that's it.

If you want to format your own kodi a Google search will instruct you.

You need to search Google to see what the best current add ons are.

Currently Elysium is my fav along with exodus and the new genesis. Then you will need to Google how to download each add on. Basically it will give you a source code for a repository. Once you load the repository you will need to find the add on from within the repository and enable it.

Then in kodi you go to video and it will show your loaded add ons

You could load kodi onto your smart tv but again you have to do all the work to format it and update it. It does far more than a smart tv. A smart tv will allow you to use paid streaming services. With the use of kodi on an android box you can watch ANYTHING for free.

When movies are too new you will see bootleg camera versions but give it a little time and you will get hd versions of movies shortly after they are out of the theatre most of the time

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    You could load kodi onto your smart tv but again you have to do all the work to format it and update it. It does far more than a smart tv. A smart tv will allow you to use paid streaming services. With the use of kodi on an android box you can watch ANYTHING for free.

When movies are too new you will see bootleg camera versions but give it a little time and you will get hd versions of movies shortly after they are out of the theatre most of the time
    This is very intriguing, thanks for the explanation. Do you still have cable / dish or have you cut the cord? This has the potential to offset my discus water bill!!!

This is very intriguing, thanks for the explanation. Do you still have cable / dish or have you cut the cord? This has the potential to offset my discus water bill!!!
    So the system is designed to essentially make the cable go away but I prefer to continue to use the cable. I just find it easier with recordings and on demand and what not. For my regular tv stuff I prefer not to have to search but rather just dvr everything.

Which Samsung do you have ? I'm about due for a new tv. I'm rocking about a 7-8 year old LG led but the picture is really nice. Just pisses me off that we paid over $2k for the tv at the time and now similar tv's or under $1k.

I have people that comment on the picture all the time but there is a secret. Best thing I ever did was have best buy calibrate the tv in home. Most people don't even realize that's an option. The guy hooks up his computer and spends an hour setting all of the settings to match the light in the room.

It's deceiving when you look at all the tv's on the wall together at best buy. Your eye is always drawn to the brightest but that's not the best picture quality. Having the tv calibrated makes the picture look incredibly realistic
    Last edited by Ryan925; 07-14-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast