AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best way to clean the inside of a tank that hasn't been used in years

Real Name
    Jim

Question Best way to clean the inside of a tank that hasn't been used in years

We are having our hardwood floors refinished, and to my horor I need to take down my 180 on the second floor. It will be good since it will give me a chance to do a heavy clean and replace tubing that has been out of reach for years. I just hate disturbing my fish and it's a sh ...boatload of work

Anyway, my plan is to utilize my 90 gal in the basement that hasn't been used since I closed down my fishroom 8 or 10 years ago. No major crud but I want to insure a healthy environment for the fish for the week or so they will inhabit it. I used to use a heavy saline solution to kill off bacteria but don't know if there is a better way since I've been gone so long .. what would you all suggest? I plan on doing several clean and rinse cycles prior moving my livestock.

My plan is to use the fill tube that runs from the basement to the second floor, and reverse flow to get half the tank filled with the water they are currently living in, then add half a tank of new water. I can move both of my cannisters downstairs and hook them to the bulkheads on the 90gal so I don't see any major filtration issues coupled with heavy daily water changes until I'm able to restart my big tank upstairs.

It's the initial cleaning that worries me the most

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Best way to clean the inside of a tank that hasn't been used in years

I'd hit it with a chlorine bleach and water solution let it air dry and call it good. A little dechlor in the water going in just to be double safe.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Best way to clean the inside of a tank that hasn't been used in years

Bleach always worried me because of my concern it could leach into the sealant

Unfounded?
    Last edited by Cosmo; 07-15-2017 at 09:54 PM.

I have used vinegar in the past to help dissolve the crusty mineral deposits. Just like bleach though needs to be rinsed really well. You can also use some salt on a damp rag to scrub at the hard stuff. The salt will be enough of an abrasive to scrub but not enough to scratch the glass.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Unfounded?
    All I can guarantee Jim is I've never had a lick of problem with this method, just used it again this past week in a couple tanks that had been sitting idle for a while. I make about a gallon or so of solution and wipe all the surfaces with a sopping wet washcloth or hand towel. Start at the top and work my way down, usually back, ends then front. Siphon out the water and let it dry.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Jim

I don't have any crusty issues,no build up of any kind, just looking to disinfect. What percentage of bleach do you use in your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Unfounded?
    unfounded... Its been my mainstay for decades. Just need to rinse well, use a dechlor or let air dry.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Pam

I've used lemon juice to clean smaller tanks. Cut a lemon in half and actually used the lemon itself to help scrub build up. Might help with some tough spots.

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks all

Real Name
    Ryan

No worries on the bleach as its air sulluable.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Registered Member

Bar Keepers friend has active ingredient of oxalic acid about 10,000 times stronger than acetic acid in vinegar and in the same way safe. Just rinse fully, I have seen some AMAZING clean up jobs, looks like brand new tank. Even gets of crusty thick hard water calcification.

Real Name
    Willie

A 20% Clorox solution will wipe out just everything. Once it air dries, there will be absolutely no chlorine molecules left in the tank.

You can just use tap water, conditioned and dechlored, for the new tank. You don't have to put water from the old tank into the new tank.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.