AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Determining if a fish is blind

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Determining if a fish is blind

I am pretty sure one of my red turqs is blind. There is nothing physically wrong with her (proven female as she has laid eggs) eyes but behaviorally, it seems pretty obvious. All fish beg for food when I approach the tank except for her. She doesn't approach the food until pieces have circulated through the tank and then frequently bites me or another fish first. She also spends most of her time apart from the others. Doesn't seem to affect her much otherwise. Anyone know of a way to confirm my suspicions? She is one of the prettier fish and though I'd like to consider breeding her, I am also not sure if this is genetic.

Default Re: Determining if a fish is blind

Beth thats not an easy thing to determine. People have suspected that Discus can suffer from genetic defects of the eyes from inbreeding. Its apparent in fish that always seem to miss the food when going for it. I have had some adults here that I am pretty sure were blind in at least one eye... They never turned the blind eye towards me... Its always the good eye facing me. I don't think a fish blind in both eyes would survive long , but maybe bad vision in both or one bad eye they can with difficulty,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

My Albino Platinum has poor eyesight but I don't think he is completely blind. That is definitely a genetic trait of the albinos. Like Al said, he will aim for the food and miss. If he does find a piece when he gets it he looks all excited. He rarely gets anything floating by in the water so I always put some Discus Chow on the bottom for him. He scoots along and gets it by feel. It was kind of sad when I realized this but he is a survivor. He is also on the smaller side, most likely due to less than optimum food intake but he is still so beautiful.

Would love to see a pic of her. Can you post one for us?
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I just rehomed a discus that was at least partially blind. You could tell she could see the food but when she would strike at it she would miss 3/4 times. This really set her back during feeding times. I knew when I received her something was up with her eyes because the shape of the inner pupil was different that those in my other discus (it was larger). I think maybe her vision was warped a bit. It did affect her growth and status in the group.

I had an oscar with the same weird inner pupil thing in one eye, but must have been completely blind in that eye. It is easy to tell where an oscar is looking, and showing him food on that side got zero reaction! So he would always look at me with his good eye. He never missed food when he struck it tho lol

As long as ur discus is getting enough food and not struggling during feeding to eat her share it should be OK.
    Last edited by Kyla; 07-16-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    My Albino Platinum has poor eyesight but I don't think he is completely blind. That is definitely a genetic trait of the albinos. Like Al said, he will aim for the food and miss. If he does find a piece when he gets it he looks all excited. He rarely gets anything floating by in the water so I always put some Discus Chow on the bottom for him. He scoots along and gets it by feel. It was kind of sad when I realized this but he is a survivor. He is also on the smaller side, most likely due to less than optimum food intake but he is still so beautiful.

Would love to see a pic of her. Can you post one for us?
    Sorry for delay. Had to hunt down my husband's phone again
    BlindDiscus.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    I just rehomed a discus that was at least partially blind. You could tell she could see the food but when she would strike at it she would miss 3/4 times. This really set her back during feeding times. I knew when I received her something was up with her eyes because the shape of the inner pupil was different that those in my other discus (it was larger). I think maybe her vision was warped a bit. It did affect her growth and status in the group.

I had an oscar with the same weird inner pupil thing in one eye, but must have been completely blind in that eye. It is easy to tell where an oscar is looking, and showing him food on that side got zero reaction! So he would always look at me with his good eye. He never missed food when he struck it tho lol

As long as ur discus is getting enough food and not struggling during feeding to eat her share it should be OK.
    She is actually one of the more aggressive feeders once she realizes there is food in the tank.

She is very pretty and looks to be a good size. Doesn't seem to be holding her back. Thanks for the pic
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields