AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Troublesome Rhodo

Default Troublesome Rhodo

I have a really beautiful rhododendron in front of my house. It was salvaged from someones yard when they ripped it up and left it roadside. I found it, planted it and its really a nice massive bush. I have tried for years to take good pictures of it and am convinced it has some magically charm that prevents that. Between its shiny leaves and Psychedelic colors...its a royal PITA. I have tried in all kinds of light conditions and am never happy with the images. This year I was very busy when it flowered. I had one chance and that was right after a rain storm, late afternoon and the sun still mostly hid.

Though I am not entirely happy, There were a few I liked. And surprisingly enough these flowers lend themselves well to monochrome conversion.....

IMGP0540

IMGP0524_01

IMGP0523

IMGP0502

IMGP0486

IMGP0482_01

IMGP0466

IMGP0465

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Troublesome Rhodo

AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice Al, what do you think it is about these flowers which makes them so hard to photograph?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Nice Al, what do you think it is about these flowers which makes them so hard to photograph?
    Pat
    Probably that Magic charm the wood nymph gave it. Either that or they are just too saturated ... even with these I posted I had to take them a few stops under exposed. Next year I try a ND filter.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Yea, blame it on the wood nymph lol.
    Pat

Real Name
    Matt

Looking good Al. We have one as well, it's massive too. Really really tall bush almost the size of a normal small tree.

I struggle taking photos of any red flower to be honest, more so when there is any sunlight or direct light on it. It's quite a royal pain for me. Funny enough, red and orange discus are one of the easiest and best to photograph but flowers it's the complete opposite. I'm not sure if its the saturation like you say or the sunlight playing tricks or what but they are just always to blown out to use. I'm going to try and remedy it with using a still frame from a 60fps 4k video going forward and see if that helps any. I did get a photo of a red/orange Gerber daisy that was decent but it was on a cloudy day.

Pat do you notice any issues? I wonder if it's certain people's eyes. You know red is one of those colors that is a big factor in certain colorblindness. Not suggesting any colorblindness here but perhaps something is different for us spectrum wise than others? Not sure. It's strange. Maybe it's just something about red flowers.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Pat

Matt, I have notice several issues with photographing flowers. First is just getting a sharp focus on them. I have found that I need to place my focal point on a place on the flower which has some contrast like that stamens for example so the lens has an edge to focus on. For me the colors red and purple seem difficult. No sure why. Perhaps best to continue this in a different thread as I would like your and others perceptive on this. I do not want to side track Al's thread.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Matt, I have notice several issues with photographing flowers. First is just getting a sharp focus on them. I have found that I need to place my focal point on a place on the flower which has some contrast like that stamens for example so the lens has an edge to focus on. For me the colors red and purple seem difficult. No sure why. Perhaps best to continue this in a different thread as I would like your and others perceptive on this. I do not want to side track Al's thread.
    Pat
    Its fine.. I don't mind Pat.. Part of this threads purpose was to show my pic the other complain about magic interference or some other reason!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com