AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A day out Herping

Default A day out Herping

My friend Jeff Richards and I have a yearly tradition. WE try and get out for a few hikes each year to see what Herps we can find. By herps I mean reptiles and amphibians. We have a bucket list of a few species we want to see but really we just like looking for them all. This year we headed out and as would have it we didn't find any snakes we were really interested in. Saw a ton of water snakes , looks like it was a swingers party for water snakes. We saw a few garter snakes as well, but nothing major.

The trip was coming to an end and we decided to check out another area by a pond. That where the water snakes were. As we looked around we came across a really large female snapping turtle.She was wedged pretty good inbetween the dense underbrush. They come out to lay their eggs and it looked like this one got stuck and died. What a bummer. We decided to document it with pics as we always do when we find something.... and the darn thing scared the heck out of us.. Stuck it was, but it was definitely NOT Dead. So we gave her a little assistance took a few pics and let her on her way to find a nesting site.

IMGP0562

IMGP0565

IMGP0561

IMGP0560

IMGP0567

There were a few other interesting shots I took that day, but not many.

painter turtle

IMGP0588

pink ladies slipper orchid...

IMGP1586

Green Frog

IMGP1535

IMGP1535_01

All and All a great day out!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: A day out Herping

A good deed done Al, just glad she didn't take a finger or two off before you realized she was still ticking!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Default Re: A day out Herping

Yeah tell me about it!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images