ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hi, from sydney

Real Name
    Jay

Default Hi, from sydney

Hello everyone,
    My name is Jay and I live on the central coast of N.S.W.
    I am just getting back into discus fish after 10 years away from keeping any kind of fish. I found this page doing a bit of research,trying to refresh my knowledge of these beautiful fish.
    I have just inherited a discus setup from from a family member which I will be picking up this week end sight unseen. All I know is there are 6 adult discus. Unsure of the size of tank or filtration type. I have spent the last few days trying to get myself setup, but there isn't a great deal I can do until I get the tank and fish.
    I have already learnt a great deal from this page over the last few days that has really helped to jog my memory. There sure is a lot of info here. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions once I get everything up and running.

I'm pretty excited to say the least and will sure post some pics once everything is set up.

Thanks for reading

Jay

Default Re: Hi, from sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Jayr View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am just getting back into discus fish after 10 years away from keeping any kind of fish. I found this page doing a bit of research,trying to refresh my knowledge of these beautiful fish.
    I have just inherited a discus setup from from a family member which I will be picking up this week end sight unseen. All I know is there are 6 adult discus. Unsure of the size of tank or filtration type. I have spent the last few days trying to get myself setup, but there isn't a great deal I can do until I get the tank and fish.
    I have already learnt a great deal from this page over the last few days that has really helped to jog my memory. There sure is a lot of info here. I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions once I get everything up and running.

I'm pretty excited to say the least and will sure post some pics once everything is set up.

Thanks for reading

Jay

Hey Jay! Welcome aboard and back to the hobby! 10 years must be the magic number this week. I just read a post by another person returning to the fold after 10 years. Definitely ask away. I would suggest asking the owner of the tank about their set up, filtration, water parameters etc. and get some pictures so you know what to expect.

Look forward to having you with us on Simply!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Exciting discus adoption! Def keep us updated

Real Name
    Phil

Welcome !!

Any idea what strain of discus or the age or health of the fish ?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hi Jay. Its good seeing another Aussie on here. I live in Melbourne. That's good that you're researching what you need to do on here to be able to keep your acquired discus in good health. Can't wait to see some pics of them. Good luck!
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Jay

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Still trying to get photos, id get them myself but the fish are almost a 2 hr drive from where I live, and the lady who is feeding them at the moment, I suspect, doesn't know how to use a smart phone.

I have no idea what strain or size they are. All I know is that there are 6 fish. Which are red and silver? And the tank is in need of a water change as the lady says the water is getting a little dirty. If I wasn't so busy with work I would chuck a sickie and pick them up tomorrow.

Will post pics as soon As I have them

Jay

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Still trying to get photos, id get them myself but the fish are almost a 2 hr drive from where I live, and the lady who is feeding them at the moment, I suspect, doesn't know how to use a smart phone.

I have no idea what strain or size they are. All I know is that there are 6 fish. Which are red and silver? And the tank is in need of a water change as the lady says the water is getting a little dirty. If I wasn't so busy with work I would chuck a sickie and pick them up tomorrow.

Will post pics as soon As I have them

Jay
    If she dosn't know how to care for them, maybe suggest that she should stop feeding them....it will only make things worse, especially if she overfeeds...hope it all work out for you

Hi Jay,
    Agree with Joe better no food than dirty water. If it looks dirty it's really already too dirty. :

You are lucky having them land in your lap. Can't wait to see them.

This is the most amazing forum for information and to just hang out and chat. Always something going on here. There are so many kind people here to help you out with whatever you need.

Good luck. I hope you can get to them soon and get them into clean water fast!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Jay

Thanks for the advice Joe and Jenene. I have let them know to stop feeding, and I have decided to make the trip to pick everything up tomorrow afternoon after work. I think it's going to be a late night tomorrow night.

I'll start a journal thread tomorrow

Thanks for the help guys

Jay

Thanks for the advice Joe and Jenene. I have let them know to stop feeding, and I have decided to make the trip to pick everything up tomorrow afternoon after work. I think it's going to be a late night tomorrow night.

I'll start a journal thread tomorrow

Thanks for the help guys

Jay
    Good to hear rescue is on their way!

Let us know how they are and send us some pics when they are settled. Can't wait to see what you have.

Jenene
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Go get 'em Jay!

Looking forward to further updates.

Real Name
    Phil

Hope all went well, let us know and post some pics

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading

Jay
    Hi Jay, good to see aussies here,,, good luck with the setups. Look fwd to pics