AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Filter Advice

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Default Need Filter Advice

Greetings All! Thanks once again for help with my inquiry! I am currently running 2 Fx 5's on a 125gal. I fashioned spray bars so that flow is very discus friendly. Problem is my filters are probably on the verge of getting tired. One is starting to make an undesirable low growl, l have run them about 7years with no issue so they owe me nothing.l know l could service them and such but anyhow. To simplify things l wanna buy and use 2 ehiem 2217's. My 2 hydor in-line heaters will go right on without the custom plumbing l had to do for the Fx's. I own a 2217 on another tank and it has worked flawlessly and is much easier to service and clean than the 2 beast's l have in my 125 cabinet currently. So the question is will the 2 2217's serve me well in a moderately heavy stocked 125 that l can do water changes on daily with no problem. I know this will be a step down in filtration (especially mechanical) l just don't wanna be underfiltered. Tank is and will remain bare bottom. My goal is to simplify my plumbing (because of in-line heaters)and gain the ease of servicing 2 much less cumbersome filters! Thanx Everyone! -walt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Need Filter Advice

My fx5s will make that grinding sound if I don't clean off the impeller for a long time. It can even stall the filter completely if left too long. When you empty the canister out, u can use a screwdriver to remove the motor housing and then pull the impeller cover straight off, remove the o-ring and the impeller itself (it's a magnet so u gotta yank it a bit). They accumulate gunk over time so give it a good rinse and then rinse out the slime from the inner impeller chamber and put it all back together. Should do the trick.

Sorry if u have already tried this - but if u haven't it is super simple! My fx5 has been running a lot longer than 7 years, so urs may have more life in it yet.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Thanx Kayla! I will do that if l am going to keep the Fx's, They are fabulous filters and I would always recommend them. It's just that my old back ain't what it used to be and l am able to make such quick work of servicing the 2217 that l have . That all l need to hear is that l will do fine with 2ea 2217's and it's pretty much a done deal for me! Thank for reply though! Much Appreciated! -walt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I have no experience with the 2217... but I can def relate to the back-breaking chore of hauling those fx5 out for maintenance!! I've already decided that once I'm unable to do it myself I'll switch to some larger API Filstar XPs

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Yes Kayla it troubles me to forgo them they are awesome, especially after the work l invested in them fabricating the spray bars and reducing the outputs in size for the inline heaters to work, but they are just too labor intensive for me anymore. It's not their design, it's just their shear size and weight! From a design aspect they are pretty user friendly to service

Real Name
    Eric

I would be concerned with such a sharp decrease in filtration. Eheim 2217 has a max flow of 265 (530 gph for two) versus a 955 gph flow rate of the FX5 (1910 gph for two). There would definitely be a mini-cycle and you would have to clean the 2217's more often. I haven't used them before, but I think two of them is not quite enough filtration for a 125 gallon discus tank, even if it is bare bottom. It would only turn over the tank a few times per hour, compared to 10+ times per hour now.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Thanks Clawhammer! That's the math l was looking for!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Just to mention that when in June 2016 Practical Fishkeeping magazine tested various filters in real life conditions (loaded with media and with 80 and 120 cm gead) the actual flow from the newer FX6 was actually about 1800 l/h compared to the declared 3200, having said that two of those still push a lot more than 2 x 2217. Maybe look at two Eheim Professionel 3 1200xl.

If you need more circulation, you could always add a circulation pump near the bottom of the tank. They use very little power and move a ton of water for their size. Taken at face value, the two Eheim's will turnover the tank roughly 4x an hour (good enough). Considering the relatively small volume of canister filters, the only benefit provided by the increase in circulation is the ability to kick up waste for the filter to collect instead of it pooling on the bottom.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

When I had my FX-5, remember draining the water in the filter out by removing the input hose at the filter and attaching an spare hose on the output side, then turn it back on and run it until filter is empty of water if I remember correctly. A whole less heavy to carry.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Thanx guys! I am gonna keep my 2 FX's for now and just grin and bear it when it comes to cleaning them. I know the 2217's would probably suffice even though it is a dramatic turn over reduction hourly. If l do go to replace l will probably look higher up the ehiem ladder at the filters suggested. All things considered l can't complain about my Big Fluval's they are good filters and continue to serve me well. I invested some time getting flow reduction from 2 well made spray bars done in pricey black pvc, hardly an engineering feat but they turned out quite nice. Gotta learn to leave well enough alone! Thanks everyone!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Suppose "If it ain'tbroke dob't fix it" still holds true

Registered Member

If the spray bars restricts the output too much that can also make the impeller make noise. Then again 7 yrs on the same impellers can also make noise. They do wear out over time. The center hole enlarges and the wobble more and push less water. Especially if they are not routinely cleaned.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    If the spray bars restricts the output too much that can also make the impeller make noise. Then again 7 yrs on the same impellers can also make noise. They do wear out over time. The center hole enlarges and the wobble more and push less water. Especially if they are not routinely cleaned.
    Ivan , do you think we can increase the decreased ,over time - flow of the weared impeller by replacing it with a new impeller ?

I get this restricted flow of canisters after a couple of years of use and I wonder if I can fix that with just changing the impeller , instead of constantly buying new canisters .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Ivan , do you think we can increase the decreased ,over time - flow of the weared impeller by replacing it with a new impeller ?

I get this restricted flow of canisters after a couple of years of use and I wonder if I can fix that with just changing the impeller , instead of constantly buying new canisters .

YES of course. They are an expendable part. You can make them last longer by cleaning out the impeller well, cleaning the impeller and most come apart I use bristled pipe cleaners to clean out the small hole the shaft goes through. That pipe cleaner can be very dirty at times. That dirt film will wear out the plastic and make the hole larger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast