AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Filter Advice

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Default Re: Need Filter Advice

What do you guys think about this, if you call Fluval they will tell you that you may restrict the the outflow 50% by closing the outflow valve 1/2 way. They will tell you this may be done without damaging the motor. I am sure over time it torques the shaft and impeller to a degree, but how much is anybody's guess. I would say not cleaning the impeller is probably more harmful than cutting the flow. Some would ask why get an FX6 only to cut back the flow which is the filters calling card. And then l have heard others say flow restriction (to a degree) may enhance bio filtration by increasing media exposure time! In the end all theory and speculation l suppose. And then there is the flow altering variable of how you load the thing and what you load load it with! As l age l try to keep things simple but my OCD prevents that! LOL! Anyhow the biggest skimp in this whole arrangement l must agree is not cleaning the impeller/shaft area regularly, and l stand guilty as charged! LOL!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

As per Pittdog, l will be buying 2 new impellers and installing them after l give the hole the shaft rides in a thorough cleaning. Hopefully my neglect has not "wonked" the holes the shafts ride in too severely. I have had the motors off 2-3 times in the last 7 years (not nearly enough of course) and gave the impeller and shaft area "quickies" so really l have nothing to complain about. The filters have endured "me" so to speak!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    YES of course. They are an expendable part. You can make them last longer by cleaning out the impeller well, cleaning the impeller and most come apart I use bristled pipe cleaners to clean out the small hole the shaft goes through. That pipe cleaner can be very dirty at times. That dirt film will wear out the plastic and make the hole larger.
    Thanks Ivan . This info is valuable to me because I didn't believe the impellers should have any influence to the decreased flow and I always ended up buying new canisters every few years .

Registered Member

you bet Filip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12