ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Grow out tank

Registered Member

Default Grow out tank

Hi there.

I have some home bred discus that are about 7-8 months now. I am growing them out before moving them to the display tank. I am guessing the largest ones are about 12 cm now.
    I have them in a connected system with sump so water volume and filtration is not a problem. We are feeding and removing detrius every 2 hours, so they are getting about 100-150% water change a day with tempered and aired water.

I have them seperated now with 7 in one tank and 9 in the other(yes small batch, first time for the couple). The tank size is 75cm long, 40cm wide and 35cm high. How long can they go in these tanks before it affects growth?
    Last edited by Belkar; 07-20-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: wrong measurement. 12 inches would not need any more growing :P

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Grow out tank

Some quick math makes the tank about 27 gallons. At 12 cm (4+ inches) I think they are already a bit crowded. You might be able to get away with it for a while if you keep up with your water changes, but I'd start planning for more space.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Default Re: Grow out tank

Yeah I have a 300 liter(~80) gallon tank standing by. I`ll hook this up to the rest of the system and move them there eventually. Its just so much easier to keep the 27 gallons clean all the time. With 8 feedings a day its alot of work =).
    When they are grown they are going in a 250cm, 60cm, 50cm(198gallons) display tank.

At what time can I safely move them to the display tank without having to worry about lesser water parameters stunting they`re growth? (I am not doing 8 feedings a day and 600 liters a day waterchanges on my display tank)