AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Thread/Spaghetti in mouth/gill?

Registered Member

Unhappy Thread/Spaghetti in mouth/gill?

One of my discus- normally a strong eater stopped eating about 3 days ago. Water params are all OK, no new tank mates or changes, everyone else seems OK. He has this thread hanging out of his mouth when he breaths it goes in and out like spaghetti- really labored breathing, fins are clamped. It kind of looks like a tiny piece is hanging out of the bottom of his gills too. He just started laying on the bottom and is kind of floating more than swimming at this point. I thought about trying to pull whatever it is out but I am scared on doing more damage. Any idea what's going on? Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Thread/Spaghetti in mouth/gill?

Guessing it could be part of it's gill structure based on your description of labored breathing with stuff hanging out of the gill plates. Perhaps he damaged himself somehow. Other then increased water changes I have nothing to offer.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

I had an oscar who ate a piece of hair. It took him a while to pass it. I was worried it was a worm, but it was 100% hair. Is it possibles piece of string could have gotten in the tank? Did u use string or thread in the tank to tie anything down? Any bags in the filter with string on them?

Maybe it would help to fill our the questionnaire. Maybe the labored breathing and non eating could be related to other things going on in the tank
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is