ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Max temp and current

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Max temp and current

As I prepare for my annual boat trip to the Catskills, I am forced to remember a particular bad one where we unplugged the AC before we left and I came back home to melted corals in the reef tank. I have seen some folks posting that they've had discus up to 94 F but am concerned about dissolved oxygen levels as the higher the temp, the less O2. Simple solution would be to increase the current in the tank to increase the surface gas exchange but, I question the abilities of broad bodied fish to maintain themselves in said current. If they increase energy expenditures to maintain position, do they not need to increase food intake?

I only ask as my AC is currently leaking inside and I don't want to come home to a flood. Right now I have to switch out the towel daily.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Max temp and current

As long as you have an airstone or sponge filter, discus can handle 97F with no problems at all. Do not feed at all when you're away. I go away for two weeks and always return to very happy and healthy discus.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    As long as you have an airstone or sponge filter, discus can handle 97F with no problems at all. Do not feed at all when you're away. I go away for two weeks and always return to very happy and healthy discus.

Willie
    No air stone and no sponge filter. My husband only allows the tanks as long as they are silent so its all canisters. I figure the house will probably hit the mid 90's if I don't leave the ac on so the tank, with equipment throwing off heat, may hit about 95 for 3 or 4 days.

Real Name
    Kevin

Is your A/C leaking due to a clogged drain line or a rusted out drain pan? 99% of the time a clogged drain line can be easily flushed out with a garden hose or sometimes vacuumed out if your vacuum is strong enough.

Registered Member

I never used air stones just canisters and powerheads. I had no AC in the summer my tanks would get to 101 at times. I NEVER lost a fish. Turn all the canisters to exhust up to flow across the top to move water at the surface you'll be fine

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    Is your A/C leaking due to a clogged drain line or a rusted out drain pan? 99% of the time a clogged drain line can be easily flushed out with a garden hose or sometimes vacuumed out if your vacuum is strong enough.
    I'm sure we all remember the tale of the shoemaker's son with no shoes. My husband is in heating and cooling so, unless it cools off soon, it won't be getting fixed. I can't even find the drain hole on the outside

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    I never used air stones just canisters and powerheads. I had no AC in the summer my tanks would get to 101 at times. I NEVER lost a fish. Turn all the canisters to exhust up to flow across the top to move water at the surface you'll be fine
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I've added a surface circulating pump to see how they will handle it and if anything, they seem to like it.

Real Name
    Filip

I have my canister outtake placed inline with and on the surface . That way the surface agitation is more than sufficient IMO .
    I don't use the spraybars , just the direct flow from it spread across the surface .

Registered Member

"No air stone and no sponge filter. My husband only allows the tanks as long as they are silent so its all canisters"I I am not sure that I would stand for that.

Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I have my canister outtake placed inline with and on the surface . That way the surface agitation is more than sufficient IMO .
    I don't use the spraybars , just the direct flow from it spread across the surface .
    I've a similar setup but with a surface skimmer added to the intake of one canister since once again, due to the need for quite, the return flow is just under the surface instead of at the surface. I find as long as I keep the lotus leaves in control so they don't cover the whole surface, the turn over and O2 levels all are good that way. There just isn't a huge amount of current since I was aiming for a slow moving stream. I will however add the extra circulating pump before I leave just in case one of the two filters stops working in my absence.