AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Please help!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bailey Giandon

Exclamation Please help!

Hello everyone!

My discus has gotten black lips and has lost his usual black lines on his body. He/she/it is also breathing very quickly and is darting around the tank. It's only just happened after I had to remove a sand bank due to a rotten plant. The sand was blacky and gave off a lot of bubbles and plant matter but the ammonia has not changed as well as nitrates and nitrites. I have a densely planted tank with a layer of dirt then sand and fine gravel on top. It's about 3 months old and I keep it with electric blue rams, neon tetras, cherry barbs and bristle nose catfish. I have 10 barbs and tetras, 3 bristle nose catfish and 3 rams. I also have 3 other discus. I keep the water at 26.5 degrees Celsius. The water is kept at 6.5 pH and I don't use aged water. It's 350 litres and I change 1 quarter of it weekly. I feed my fish colour bits, flakes, alge pelets,pellets and frozen discus food and/or beef heart. I don't have a picture yet sorry but I will try to take one soon. Though I have recently added two bunches of hair grass and two mew rams. Thank you soo much! Oh yeah I've added some freshwater aquarium salt and some meathaline blue bout 20 mls, though it's got some formeldahide in it.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Please help!

Sounds like you have gas pockets developing under your substrate (could be hydrogen sulfide). This might be worth a read http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...or-147656.html.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bailey Giandon

Default Re: Please help!

Thanks for that. I've increased the aeration of my tank and put in my spare filter and air pump and he's looking a lot better.